Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A full bladder for 38 week low placenta scan??

(5 Posts)
cerealqueen Mon 17-Oct-11 22:37:32

I had a scan today to see where my placenta is - a private scan a couple of weeks ago showed low lying placenta. When I got to the hospital which was 50 mins in the car I went to the toilet (as you do at this stage!) and was then told by the sonographer that I should have a full bladder. I said I'd hang on and drink some water and she said it wouldn't be full enough anyway as she was was due to go home at 4pm (3.20pm appt.)

She did the scan and said she couldn't grade it but that it was low lying. I waited for the report and she came out and told me I had to be re-scanned. i was really pissed off that we'd gone all that way to have an inconclusive scan and that nobody had told me about having a full bladder. I don't think she could wait to get me out of there and do think she could have tried to get somebody else to do it once I had a full bladder!

I went straight to the ante-natal clinic at my local hospital and told the midwife what had happened and she was [sceptical] about the need for a full bladder as at 38 weeks, she couldn't see how I could have managed it, or that it was necessary. I have to say I've had five scans this pregnancy and none of them required a full bladder.

I don't fancy a long car ride trying to keep a full bladder and don't know who to believe now. Has anybody else experinced similar?

cerealqueen Tue 18-Oct-11 10:20:24

Bump!

hubbahubster Tue 18-Oct-11 10:44:14

That's the complete opposite to my experience - I was told to empty my bladder at my 36 and 38 week low lying placenta scans. In fact, I've never been asked to have a full bladder for any of my scans, I think it's a bit of an old fashioned idea, and I've never had a problem getting a good view on scans either. TBH I don't see what difference it can possibly make, especially on such a late scan as the baby takes up so much room. I'd have thought a full bladder would actually get in the way! I'd ring the hospital and query it if I were you. Hope that helps!

TeacupTempest Tue 18-Oct-11 17:03:48

Just had an extra growth scan today at 32 weeks and was told that I could empty my bladder as it wasn't necessary for it to be full at this stage...

Wish I had known that as I sat in the waiting room with my legs crossed!

cerealqueen Tue 18-Oct-11 18:27:44

Thanks ladies....I think I will phone the main hospital ultrasound dept and get some advice. I certainly don't want to go back to the lady who saw me yesterday. I think she was brusque and unprofessional, and had no intention of making sure that as a patient, that she could do her best for me!
I've had no bleeding so am hoping it won't be an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now