Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My first post - quick question about scans - not sure about my GP

(9 Posts)
kimblepup Mon 17-Oct-11 21:55:20

Hi there! I'm nearly 10 weeks pregnant through fertility treatment and had a scan at 6 weeks and 9 weeks at the fertility clinic which were fine (ie - just to confirm "viability"). I had my first appointment with my GP today (who I've never seen before as I've recently registered). I'm a bit confused. I was expecting her to say that a 12 week scan would be the next thing to be organised but she said that my next one would be at 16 weeks - surely this isn't right, is it? She was going to put me in touch with a midwife, but when I saw her choosing hospitals on the computer system, she chose the local one. I was under the impression that we have choice where to go - is that right or does that choice come later? I'm in my forties expecting my first so I'm keen to have a 12 week scan. Can I just ask for one?

catsareevil Mon 17-Oct-11 22:16:12

Congratulations!
It may depend on where you are - I have heard of an area doing a single 16 week scan,though it certainly isnt standard. If that is the case where you live you will be still be able to get a 12 and 20 week scan privately.

cerealqueen Mon 17-Oct-11 22:18:58

You should be referred for what is known as the nuchal scan around 13 weeks - there is a window when they can do it but I don't think its as far as 16 wees as there are certain measurements and blood tests which are most effective in terms of what they can identify in that window. Internet search will tell you more.
Yes, you should be getting a choice, your GP should have discussed the options with you.
You should also be referred for a midwife appointment, known as booking appointment.
Hoe this helps. I'd get on the phone to your GP if I were you.
Good luck!

AllThreeWays Mon 17-Oct-11 22:35:45

As you are over forty you should be offered a nuchal scan, and triple test bloods to accertaion your risks, these must be done between 11 and 13 weeks and blood and scan should be done no more than two days apart.

kimblepup Mon 17-Oct-11 22:38:08

Thanks cerealqueen, you've confirmed my thoughts exactly. Will speak to her again - she doesn't strike me as someone who likes to be questioned...

kimblepup Mon 17-Oct-11 22:56:18

Thanks so much everyone, very glad to be here.

griphook Mon 17-Oct-11 23:25:33

with regard to hospitals, they pretty much put you down for nearest unless you bring it up, and they will make a request for you to a different hospital, but if i was you because you're ten weeks i'd wait for the scan and then make a request for a different hosptal. But there isn't any certainty that they will accept you. I wanted to go to a different hosptial and they said they are to full, so now I have to go to the local one which has a really bad reputation, not sure what I'm going to do now.

HotPinkGingham Tue 18-Oct-11 10:26:09

Hmmm. Not a great first experience. If you don't find your GP sympathetic you can always ask to see someone else in the practice. I used to have a really dismissive GP and I used to dread seeing her. I changed and I now see someone else who is lovely.

As mentioned above, due to your age a nuchal scan would seem important (this will tell you about statistical probability of chromosomal abnormality which can increase with age). Not everyone wants to know this kind of info, and it is a probability score not a diagnosis, so worth reading up on (alongside the other testing options available) before going to see your GP next.

In my area you can self-refer to the midwife, you just ring up the GP practice and ask for an appointment, maybe you could try this? From my experience you should also get the choice as to whether you go midwife led or consultant led (some pluses and minuses to both), as well as being able to at least have a preference about the hospital.

Good luck! Hope you get a more sympathetic experience next time!

MiauMau Tue 18-Oct-11 12:39:50

If you're in your forties you really need to have a nuchal scan (12 weeks) as the possibilities of Down syndrome are much higher. Check out your hospital's policy, at my local women can bypass the gp and go straight there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now