Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is a birthing ball the same as a yoga ball?

(3 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Mon 17-Oct-11 15:25:01

Because Amazon has yoga balls for half of the price of birthing balls.

Also, when are you meant to start sitting / bouncing on it to help the baby with positioning?

StickyGhost Mon 17-Oct-11 16:23:56

Yes, they're the same, except that I think all birthing balls have an anti-burst feature while the cheaper exercise ones don't always (which I think is reassuring to have, but not essential). I'd recommend going for a 55 or 65cm one, I got mine from Argos for about a fiver and it's been brilliant; I haven't sat in a normal chair for about 4 months! It also helps with backache and when feeling breathless.
Probably from about 34/36 weeks it may help with positioning your baby, but even then there's still loads of time for him/her to move.

MrsHuxtable Mon 17-Oct-11 16:52:04

Thanks. The yoga ball on Amazon also says it's anti-burst and given my height of 5"2 I think I'll go for the 55cm one. Am very excited now. How sad...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now