Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to expect at a 37 week low-lying placenta scan?

(11 Posts)
katherine2008 Sun 16-Oct-11 21:13:06

Can anyone tell me what sort of scan to expect this week - will be nearly 37 weeks and 20 week scan showed a low lying placenta. I'm positive the placenta will have moved by now, and not concerned at this point - just wondering if I'm in for a fanjo cam and also if they'll be able to tell me which way round baby is and if head is engaged/partially engaged etc. Thank you!

drcrab Sun 16-Oct-11 21:16:26

Regular belly scan and the ob/gyn will be able to tell if it's moved etc. I had that and it didnt move. Had contractions at 30 weeks. Had scheduled c-section at 39 weeks. All c calm and civilized! grin

hubbahubster Sun 16-Oct-11 21:18:52

You won't be able to see much as the baby is too big to fit on the screen. If the placenta is still close to the cervix, you'll be in for dildo cam. Mine was 8mm from the cervix so I had the delights of a vaginal scan at 36 weeks and 38 weeks sad

SazZaVoom Sun 16-Oct-11 21:22:01

As DrCrab says, they should just do a normal scan. Fingers x'd it has moved and baby engaged. If it hasn't then you will need to be vigilant/careful re bleeding, but they should give you lots of advice on this.

Mine didn't move either and i had bleeds at 31 and 36 weeks and a c-section then.

You sound like you have made it further than me, so well done grin

SazZaVoom Sun 16-Oct-11 21:24:18

Oh sorry, obviously Hubba knows better blush. I guess for my scan at 31 weeks there was quite a difference in size between that and a 37 weeker.

cravingcake Sun 16-Oct-11 22:59:35

You could be lucky & it has moved clear, mine had. Was just regular tummy scan, couldnt see much of baby, the sonogrpaher pointed out that my baby has its head firmly next to my bladder & i asked her to let me know approximate weight so she took measurements that she could get. We could make out a foot occassionally and also got to see heart beating away & she showed us the chambers clearly (this was just because of the position baby was in meant she could do it).

Good luck.

katherine2008 Mon 17-Oct-11 10:08:00

Thanks all. I'm so looking forward to seeing him tomorrow. My first dc was 3 weeks early so quite small relatively - this one feels like a big-un, so I'm looking forward to any clues. I have had no bleeding this pg, so am fairly sure the placenta has moved. Roll on 9.20am tomorrow!

GreenBlueRed Mon 17-Oct-11 21:13:57

Mine was a normal scan, and it had moved upwards enough from the 28 week one to allow me my homebirth instead of the immediate c section I was expecting - very pleased!

HPSource Wed 19-Oct-11 13:54:37

How did you get on katherine?

thejaffacakesareonme Wed 19-Oct-11 14:18:46

I had a dildo cam at 35 weeks, but only after they'd tried a normal scan and hadn't been able to get a clear picture.

katherine2008 Wed 19-Oct-11 17:00:54

Hi HP and everyone - had to have both scans but placenta has moved and little one is head down and all ready to go. Woo hoo. Rock on the next few weeks. Have now hit the Raspberry leaf tea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now