Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Erm what's this please?

(9 Posts)
spritzercat Sun 16-Oct-11 19:08:02

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and in the last two weeks I've had an intermitent pain in my ribs on the right hand side. I thought it was baby kicking but can she kick as high as just under my boobs? I know that might sound ridiculous but it feels like I'm being kicked/something in there is popping/trapped gas?... It's annoying and very uncomfortable. Any ideas anyone.

Yes I think so, sorry grin
Do you feel other kicks in that area? If you're worried, ask your midwife

Grandhighpoohba Sun 16-Oct-11 19:22:03

I had this, for quite a lot of my first pregnancy. It was much worse when I sat down. I think my midwife suggested that it was my liver or some other internal organ being squashed up towards my ribs. Bloody sore though, you have my sympathy.

spritzercat Sun 16-Oct-11 19:31:28

Grand thank you for the sympathy! It is worse when I sit down as well. Something's crushed or moving. SHRIIIEEEK Bump does like to kick a little lower down on the same side, which is why I thought it might be her.

My midwife has been non existent since the start. I've called triage twice and been told I was fine -first ended up being hyperemisis and the second being Shingles.

stripeybumpinthenight Sun 16-Oct-11 23:25:00

I have the exact same thing - pain just at the top of the uterus on my right side. It gets worse when I'm sitting down, my commute is awful! I know my baby is breech so I guess it's his head pressing my ribs. Could be internal organs being squished too I suppose! Don't worry about it though, it's apparently normal smile

notlettingthefearshow Sun 16-Oct-11 23:30:03

All sounds normal. I had similar pains in various areas and it was due to position of baby. They move all the time and can be curled up so head and feet can be in the same place!

Once I went to midwife clinic as the pain was so bad I couldn't walk and was crying. She was great and did the usual checks - listening to the heartbeat is always very reassuring, and they can feel to check the position. She was lovely about me coming in - there are so many new aches and pains with pregnancy, you just don't know what's normal.

Go to your local midwife clinic if you are worried, don't just phone triage.

MixedBerries Mon 17-Oct-11 05:18:55

Oooooh. Yes. "Rib flare" I believe. Not a very medical term but if you Google it you'll find millions of threads. It helped me a bit to put a cold compress on the painful area and to sit with my hands on my head (which admittedly looks a bit strange if you're a train commuter). Or sit at a table and lean forward with elbows on the table- it expands the ribcage and gives you a bit more room for those pesky internal organs. Obviously, do mention it to the midwife too as rib pain can be caused by lots of things but I hope you get some relief.

Jacksmania Mon 17-Oct-11 06:01:16

It's probably your ribs spreading. As your bump grows, it pushes your ribs up and outward. The intercostal muscles (between each rib) and nerves have to stretch, as does the costal cartilage. It f*cking hurts!!!!!!!!!! I had such severe pain on my left I couldn't sleep at night. It sucks.

The only thing that helped was going to see a massage therapist and getting the intercostal muscles worked on. Hurt like stink but gave some relief. My complete and utter sympathy!!

spritzercat Wed 19-Oct-11 20:42:42

Thanks everyone for their replies.

Not the only reason I was going to ring triage is because they always refer all calls there during out of hours. My local midwife clinic is only available 9-5 via telephone. I don't live in a good service user area sad (If they even exist anymore)

Well I ended up at the hospital yesterday because baby hadn't kicked for two days. We were given a clean bill of health (thank god) but I took the opportunity to grill the midwife about the pain. She said that I measureed much bigger than my 27 weeks and so it was likely that it is baby kicking me under the boobs.

Mixedberries the rib flare explains a lot as I've gone from a 30dd to 36dd despite weighing less than I did before i got pregnant. I was a porker curvy one before she-bump came along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now