Talk

Advanced search

Very unexpected pregnancy at 39

(7 Posts)
lindorchocs Sun 16-Oct-11 14:23:36

Hi, I'm new to this...but just found out that I am pregnant. We have a DD who is 9 years old. After extensive fertility tests my DH and myself were both declared unfertile about 5 years ago! My DH is in complete denial/shock and I have experienced a whole range of emotions these last 3 days. I'm happy but concerned of extra risks of pregnancy at my age, what tests and screenings to have, the impact it will have on our DD, the massive upheaval it will bring, the sleepless nights etc
We haven't told anyone else yet as I think I am only about 7 or 8 weeks. Thought I would post on here just to make it sound real.

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 16-Oct-11 14:28:16

Huge congratulations!

Does your hospital do the nuchal fold screening at 11/12 weeks?

I had my dc at 38 and 41 and had no tests other than this one - the results were low risk, so no need for me to have any other procedures.

AllThreeWays Sun 16-Oct-11 14:29:47

Congratulations, i am about to give birth to my second, 20 years after my first, so can understand your surprisesmile

lindorchocs Sun 16-Oct-11 14:33:56

Thanks, I'm going to the docs on Tuesday so will ask about the nuchal fold screening, I dont think that test was invented when I had my first!

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 16-Oct-11 14:38:23

It was Lindor (I had it and my dd is 10) but not all hospitals offered it as a matter of course. You can pay for it privately, but I am lucky enough to live near a big teaching hospital where everybody has it done routinely. I should think more hospitals do it now.

But, really, at 39, the risks to you and the baby are not really that much greater than they were when you were pg at 30, as I am sure your GP will say on Tuesday smile.

SurprisEs Sun 16-Oct-11 14:38:36

Congratulations!!!

There are 12 years between me and my youngest sister. Your daughter will probably be ecstatic.

Many women these days have their first child in their late 30's. You'll be fine and I'm sure you'll be well looked after and all will be done by the medical professionals for things to go as smoothly as possible.

twogirls1more Sun 16-Oct-11 14:55:48

Congrats!

I too am pregnant at 39, though is my 4th! I had a 10yr age gap between my 2nd and 3rd and decided to go on to have another two due to 2nd marriage, (along with various other reasons smile)
Everyone talks as if at the "ripe old age" of 39, you're totally past it in the reproductive sense but though certain risks are a bit elevated compared to the average 21yr old, I don't think you need worry unduly. I seem to have got MORE fertile as I've got older as have fallen pregnant quicker each time and also, somehow, my overall risk of chromosomal abnormality seems to have decreased with each pregnancy, (according to all tests results anyway!!?) You should be offered the combined test which combines blood results with nuchal fold.. (can't remember the levels of what they test for now.) My downs risk went down this time significantly to 1 in 1250 following this test!
Anyway, as has been said above, it's more common now to start families later so you're certainly not alone. smile Sure your DD will be totally smitten with your new addition! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and good luck... hope all goes swimmingly! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now