Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

SPD - quick question

(7 Posts)
kiki22 Sat 15-Oct-11 21:03:22

I've been having SPD like pains since week 18ish due to pre existing back problem making my pelvis loose already, have been to physio and been given the usual stretches to do which was working fine.

Now for the last week i've been noticing the pain getting worse and sometimes when i move something done there makes a cracking sound It's kinda freaking me out. Can anyone tell me if this is normal and is there anything i can do to help it without having to go back to physio? I've heard birthing balls are good but what exactly do i do on it?

I can't be bothered to go back to docs and wait for weeks on physio just to be told to do things no doubt you guys can tell me.

Tangle Sat 15-Oct-11 21:35:05

You're not going to like it, but I'd recommend you get back to the physio...

A cracking sound sounds like your pelvis is probably loosening off more and bits are possibly starting to move relative to each other - which is certainly within the realms of "normal" by my understanding, even if its not the experience of many women. My gut feel is that you'd probably gain some relief by stabilising things by wearing something like a Serola belt BUT (and this is where the physic comes in), before you start pushing things back together you really want to make sure that they're in the right alignment or you could make the pain worse...

That said, if there's no way you can get to a physic for a few weeks, it might be worth asking for a phone consult and seeing if they think wearing a belt without being seen first would be beneficial to you until you can get in.

Good luck - I've had various issues and the continual niggles and aches are so wearing. Hope you can get something sorted smile

kiki22 Sat 15-Oct-11 21:50:46

thanks Tangle smile

harassedandherbug Sat 15-Oct-11 22:20:57

I agree with Tangled. The serola belts are great but you do need to be straight first! I've ended up seeing a chiropractor privately, due to ridiculous waiting time plus my physio wasn't much help.

My consultant recommended acupuncture, but again I'd have to do that privately.

Do you have crutches? Much as I hate them, they really do help.

banana87 Sat 15-Oct-11 22:42:48

I agree that you need to get back to physio.

I learned this time though (seeing a private physio) that they aren't just meant to give you exercises and send you on your way! They should do treatment as well. Through my physio 'working' on me, I have avoided belts, crutches, wheelchair, acupuncture, etc. So I would recommend getting a GOOD physio (and maybe even seeing one privately) who specializes in SPD.

kiki22 Sat 15-Oct-11 23:09:18

I'm not on crutches just now just been doing my usual stretches and signed off work early to stop it getting worse.

I've gone to physio over the past 4 years for my back and found them next to useless most of the time so i don't like to go unless i need to, think i will give her a call in this case i do not want to leave it until i'm in to much pain and can't get around!


Tangle Sun 16-Oct-11 12:02:41

Have you seen the same individual each time? I only ask as from my experience each physio will have slightly different specialities and ways of working - and some are far more effective for any given problem than others. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to work out who's going to help most without trying them out, which is both long winded and can get expensive.

As you definitely seem to have a pelvic issue, it might be worth contacting the pelvic partnership and seeing if they have anyone in your area (I saw one of their physio's who, within 5 minutes, picked up on a twisted sacrum that 3 others had missed over the last 3 years). If you can afford it a private appointment would be quickest, but you may be able to find someone available through the NHS with the right speciality.

Or it might be worth considering other techniques - such as a chiropractor or osteopath.

I'd still recommend trying to see someone - but if the physio you've been going to doesn't seem to have helped then it may well be worth trying to see someone different.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: