Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

29 weeks and no sleep

(24 Posts)
Witchofthenorth Sat 15-Oct-11 04:14:50

any advice? I am on pregnancy number 4, and I seriously cannot remember such a lack of sleep with my others. I am now on night 12 of 3 hours sleep and I just want to sit and cry! I keep telling myself that my body is just preparing me for night feeds but to be honest at 4 in he mornin that sounds like a load of bullshit! Also DH decides to lie nice and still and quiet until I think that perhaps now I can sleep then his snoring starts again. Sleeping during the day doesn't work as my youngest is only 3 plus I am still working.

I don't eat close to bed time, have a routine, haven't drunk coffee after 3 for months, no fizzy juice, no real worries.......don know what else to do apart from mumsnet

Can you take sleeping tablets while pregnant? I think if I could just get a couple of nights of full sleep I will function better.

I am ready to try anything.......been up this morning since 1, and my alarm is going off in an hour for work sad would appreciate any advice.

Wormshuffler Sat 15-Oct-11 04:23:59

I'm up too............28 weeks here. I am just not in the slightest bit tired. I have no advice I'm afraid .

thewaffler Sat 15-Oct-11 04:44:09

I also had no sleep with both my pregnancies, I ended up having a later and later bedtime, as prior to being pregnant, used to go to bed ridiculously early, like 9.30 and would find myself up by midnight, so stopping later and going to bed when truly knackered helped slightly, but not much.

Only slight consolation is that when children were born, rather than being knackered from night feeding (as am doing now) and people sympathing saying how tired I must be, I have never felt so perky and feel 100 times better than when I was pregnant. I may be getting up 2 or 3 times a night, but am getting proper sleep in between!

Doesn't help you at the moment though, sorry! Horlicks?!

Witchofthenorth Sat 15-Oct-11 04:59:54

Thanks guys, at least I am not alone smile have given up for the night now, watching re runs of Quincy. Just dreading the drive to and from work. Got a 45 minute commute each way and working an 8 till 6. Bleurgh! May go and talk to chemist today and buy some horlicks although I feel that digging my husband repeatedly in the ribs will be more therapeutic smile

ScaredtheDeesusOutofMe Sat 15-Oct-11 05:14:37

I'm glad it's not just me....misery loves company so they say! wink

I'm 28 weeks pg. Some nights i'm fine - tonight i've been up since half three ish. Blurgh...it's turning me into a zombie at work...

A hot milky drink sometimes helps me get back to sleep - I'm off for another try now. Hope you manage to get some rest too x

Xiaoxiong Sat 15-Oct-11 06:06:16

Yep, I'm up too - third night in a row I've woken up around 4.30am, been like this since 30 weeks or so (now 33+1). not to go to the loo, just wide awake suddenly when SPD pain wakes me up when i turn over. No advice sadly - yesterday I was too exhausted to go to work so managed to snooze a bit mid-morning. It's making me make mistakes at work and be really forgetful too.

Witchofthenorth Sat 15-Oct-11 06:13:13

Isn't it just shit? I dont mind being up through the night once the baby is here, it's not that bad when you have a snuffly baby beside you, plus I find that co sleeping helps..........you can just roll over a drop boob into baby's mouth grin

Trying to drag myself into shower but not working, have to leave for work at seven.

I am hoping my boss may take pity on me today (big bosses up today, normally I would just go home smile)

thewaffler Sat 15-Oct-11 07:39:40

Hope you manage ok today, that's a long day, but the commute is the worrying thing, make sure you have the Windows down and music on to keep you awake and strong coffee, I've fallen asleep at the wheel before, not good.

When do you start mat leave? I love shouty Quincy too, I also developed a ponchant for Monk, the OCD detective, there's an impressive back catalogue which will see you through the next 11 weeks.

Good luck!

idlevice Sat 15-Oct-11 10:55:16

I have found occasionally listening to a podcast works, cos at least it is something for my mind to focus on rather than consciously trying to get back to sleep which is a fool's errand, or getting increasingly frustrated & angry about not sleeping. I did try a relaxation podcast with counting & soothing thoughts but that did not work whilst the baby was kicking away so just listened to a chat/interview show (Richard Bacon) - I listen properly to the first bit then with any luck drift off after a bit.

nickelbabe Sat 15-Oct-11 10:57:48

It annoyed me, too.
So many nights of tossing and turning, and getting up to go to the loo, and getting a drink, and getting back in bed, and turning this way, that way, getting annoyed at DH sleeping like a log hmm. Git.

I've just turned 34 weeks, and I've had TWO nights where I've slept from bedtime (11o'clock) until 2 am! and then got back off to sleep within half an hour to sleep until 5!!
(and then tossing and turning from 5 until I have to get up)

I'm feeling a lot less tired now grin

MissRee Sat 15-Oct-11 15:26:58

What about a hypnobirthing cd? Prep you for labour and possibly relax you enough to get more sleep? I haven't hit the sleepless nights yet (am also 29 wks) but this is my plan for if/when it does hit.

roz1982 Sat 15-Oct-11 18:52:56

This started happening to me at around 32 weeks just could not sleep, mostly due to restlessness when tried to go to bed. For about two weeks it was nightmarish and was so sleep deprived that I started to feel other worldly! And I was so down and teary all the time it was awful. I went to see midwife and she told me to get to g.p and get signed off work for a week. I also started using maggie Howells natal hypnotherapy cd and am convinced that it helped. I've finished work now at 35 weeks and am sleeping much better, at one point I thought I'd never sleep again!! comments about "well when the baby arrives" etcetc made me want to punch people in the face. The doc wouldn't give me anything but as soon as the pressure of work was off I felt so much bette and more relaxed. Hope it sorts itself out soon you really do have my sympathy, sleep dep is a terrible thing! Xx

Witchofthenorth Sat 15-Oct-11 19:38:09

Aaah thanks guys smile

the waffler got home at six and in bed now.....I was like a dog in the car, hanging out the window, was very scary though. Lots of thump thump thump music to keep me alert and a couple of power ballads to shake the cobwebs away grin I finish work last Saturday in November, I only work part time but with three other kids and big kid DH you still are exhausted. Hmmmm monk eh? I have seen trailers and I have to admit it looks very tempting. I shall check it out, ta for the tip smile

misree I have a couple hypnobirthin mp3's which I am supposed to be listening too but I keep leaving the bloody iPod in the car blush.

my lovely boss gave me lavender cream to rub under my nose to help me get to sleep, so I am trying that as I type smile

If I could just get a decent few hours it would be half the battle. Thanks everyone for replying, it's comforting to know I am not alone. I may see you all at 3am but hopefully will be checking in again nearer 9am <fingers and toes crossed emoticon>

Mum2be79 Sat 15-Oct-11 21:03:30

witchofthenorth This is soooo me!! I'm 29 weeks tomorrow, can't sleep past 2:30-3:30am. I too also have a 45-50 minute commute every morning - out the house by 7:10am and not back until 6pm!!! Worse thing is, in 3 weeks, my council are shutting the road through my village so to travel what would be a 5 mile journey is now going to be a 25 mile detour - so leaving at 6:15am from 32 weeks onwards!!!!

I bought a dreamgenii - helped a bit. I suffer from heartburn regularly but other than that, I have no idea why I am up at a unholy hour! Some say I'll go into labour at that time, others say it will be when baby's born and some even said it's the time baby will want feeding!?!

Xiaoxiong Sun 16-Oct-11 11:54:54

Just popping in to say I took the advice on this thread and listened to the hypnobirthing "rainbow relaxation" last night for the first time - conked out about 10 min into it, and I slept till 9am(!) for the first time in weeks!! So it's worth a go at least!

Witchofthenorth Sun 16-Oct-11 20:46:44

OMG I had the most amazing sleep last night.....I think it was down to sheer exhaustion though rather than anything else! Going to try hypnbirthing tonight, as I remembered to bring iPod in from the car grin

mum2be79 what is a dreamgenni? I had though about asking the God that is google but I am still in therapy after the blue waffle incident.......

Fingers crossed for tonight smile

thewaffler Sun 16-Oct-11 23:33:43

Hurrah for a good night and hope the hypno birthing works - have to say, quite rare for me to get to the end of the cd. Dream Genie is a pregnancy pillow to help you lie on your side, legs gripping one part, and another behind your back, quite expensive but can be doubled up as breast feeding pillow after. Sweet dreams!

Witchofthenorth Mon 17-Oct-11 03:31:38

Ah well lasted till 3am tonight! Although to be fair, my three year old was the one that woke me tonight for a cuddle, I think I would have stayed sleeping if not for thatgrin

Off to lurk now and see who else is up smile

MamaLucia Mon 17-Oct-11 12:03:25

I also bought a dream genii pillow after 2 weeks of tossing & turning in my sleep (mainly my body getting used to my expanding bump & having recently learned that I'm no longer allowed to sleep on my back due to constricting the vena cava so kept waking up on my back in a panic that I was cutting off my baby's oxygen supply) - & it's actually helped a lot for keeping me in a safe & comfortable position as well as peace of mind. Expensive but worth it for a decent night's sleep.

Wormshuffler Mon 17-Oct-11 17:01:30

I had a lovely night sleep the other night when dh was working and I could get all his and my pIllows arranged all around me.

thewaffler Mon 17-Oct-11 23:39:49

witchofthenorth and other sleepless ladies - I saw this and thought of you wink

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8830066/Band-creates-the-most-relaxing-tune-ever.html

skeletonfishbonesandlilacs Tue 18-Oct-11 11:58:50

Sleep is a bit of an issue here too 29 weeks also. We have been sleeping seperately for about 5 months-thats helped.

Come join us on the january antenatal thread too-you can rant and moan top your hearts content www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1317104-January-2012-Close-encounters-of-the-third-trimester-kind-Too-much-nesting-not-enough-resting?msgid=27988388

good luck

Witchofthenorth Wed 19-Oct-11 10:01:21

Ooh thewaffler I am going straight to iTunes now grin

skeletonfishbonesandlilacs am off out shortly but will pop in when I get back.

FWIW ladies, I slept with a great big slick of lavender cream under my nose and I slept ok last night! Yay for me! Slept from 930pm to 430am which bloody good for me.

See you soon girlies smile

nickelbabe Wed 19-Oct-11 10:56:35

Last night, I slept on average 2 hours at a time. and each time, I had to have a wee, then a massive drink of water cos I had a raging thirst.
I'm getting used to this pattern now, but it makes it so hard to get up in the morning! (apart from the the fact that I need a blimmin' wee half an hour before I'm due to get up!
hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now