Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tens machine - what did u think?

(28 Posts)
glitternanny Fri 14-Oct-11 11:46:31

just wondered whether you ladies could help a first timer.

Did you have a tens machine?

Did it help?

Which one did you use or are they all pretty much the same?

My oh used one for back painand said it was rubbish but my sisters and friends and many others in labour liked it and it benefited them.

Franchini Fri 14-Oct-11 11:49:43

I can't help from a personal view at the moment as DD is due in 3 weeks, but I have hired one on the recommendation of several friends who used them in labour and said they really help with the first stage before you go into hospital.

aliceliddell Fri 14-Oct-11 11:56:52

yy I am a abject coward bit of a wimp, used Tens then had epidural after 18 hours. Friend had only Tens for 11 pounder, she thought it was OK too. Don't know if they vary. Good luck!

mrsbaldwin Fri 14-Oct-11 11:56:55

I used a TENS machine.

Thought it was quite good for the first stage. Basically the feeling of the tiny shocks distracts you from the contractions - it's a kind of trick of the mind.

You could be in first stage for 8-12 hours so worth having I think.

You can hire them from Boots or from the internet. Cannot for the life of me remember the firm I used. But pretty sure it had 4 little stickon pads.

sunnysunchild Fri 14-Oct-11 11:57:01

Personally it didnt do much for the pain, but was a good distraction for a time...
Just remember to switch off the "boost" after the contraction has finished, I kept forgetting and was really disappointed when the next one started up....

BedatHogwarts Fri 14-Oct-11 11:57:12

It helped in early labour, just remember to turn it up to gradually increase your endorphine levels, and to turn it off before your DP removes the pads or you will electrocute him!!

Make sure you get one with a boost button, and try ebay (especially if you are planning more babies in the future) as you can buy one there cheaper than hiring one.

sunnysunchild Fri 14-Oct-11 11:59:23

oh mine was a Babycare Elle

www.babycaretens.com/acatalog/Elle_TENS.html

BikeRunSki Fri 14-Oct-11 12:04:45

waste of time and money

pinkpainter Fri 14-Oct-11 13:13:21

I used one for my DD - in fact it was my only pain relief for the entire birth, and was absolutely fantastic! The intensity can be increased slowly during labour and I never reached the top level - it was that good!

www.babydollyshop.co.uk/Home.asp

Am due with my 2nd baby any day and have hired exactly the same one again - I recommend them to everyone!
Hope that helps.

Pancakeflipper Fri 14-Oct-11 13:16:27

I used a tens for both my births. Now I did have quick easy births but I thought it helped me especially with my first baby. It was a good distraction and I felt I could help myself by using it.

I have heard it's best to get it on asap, the earlier the better the results...

My DP bought on on eBay for the same cost as hiring one.

marylou242 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:52:23

I used one for DC1. I'd been in 'early labour' for 3/4 days and was getting a bit tired. It was a good distraction from the contractions and sort of covered them up. As you turn it higher and higher, it does start to feel a bit like you're sitting in an electric chair or something, not particularly pleasant. I've ordered one for this time (mamatens) and will definitely be using it if I can't use the birth pool again.

BlueChampagne Fri 14-Oct-11 15:21:54

I was sceptical but thought there's no harm in trying. Found it good for both DS1 (followed by pool) and DS2 (all I needed/had time for).

Second Pancake on buying especially if you plan more DC. My DH has since used it for back pain!

Make sure it's on with a 'boost' button though. I have Elle Tens too.

FetchezLaVache Fri 14-Oct-11 15:23:57

I used one, which the hospital supplied- perhaps you could see if yours does similar? Definitely get one with a boost button- I didn't even know they did them without, seems to make no sense! It helped during the first stage, but became redundant after that.

mpops Fri 14-Oct-11 21:38:23

I hired one from Birth-Ease for 20 quid (http://www.birthease.co.uk/birthease_shop/Neurotrac-TENs-Machine-Hire.shtml) which was really good value. Ended up only using it for about 10 minutes because I left it too late and my labour was really quick. But I found it helpful in that time!

mpops Fri 14-Oct-11 21:38:47

Sorry, linky link: www.birthease.co.uk/birthease_shop/Neurotrac-TENs-Machine-Hire.shtml

feelingratheroverwhelmed Fri 14-Oct-11 22:09:44

I hired one from my local hospital. I agree with other posters about it being a good distraction. I put it on from the start and kept it one until I had an epidural, so I can't comment on what my pain would have been like without the tens in place. It certainly wasn't a bad thing anyway.

I had one odd experience with it though. I knocked one of the buttons without realising (probably the boost button?) and it felt like someone had slapped me across my back! It didn't hurt, but it certainly took me by surprise, and took DH by surprise too when I accused the poor man of hitting me!!!

pinkpainter Fri 14-Oct-11 22:37:56

Also - remember to turn it off before you take it off!! I forgot it was on after the birth and once I remembered I pulled the pads off giving myself a massive electric shock - quite funny really!

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 14-Oct-11 22:40:54

I used one- supplied by the hospital. It did help, although I am not sure I would actually spend the money on buying one myself.

NeedToCreepZZZ Sat 15-Oct-11 06:45:27

Yep, I recommend them for the first stage of labour. I hired one from Boots and used it at home until about 5/6 cm dilated then realised I was on the top setting and it wouldn't go up anymore angry

However, the best bit was getting OH to use it afterwards (big strong man) to let him have a glimpse of what contractions must have been like if getting these electric shocks were preferable! wink

NoobyNoob Sat 15-Oct-11 07:21:34

I thought they were rubbish. I didn't buy one, the hospital gave me one to use when I was in labour.

I had the pains all in my front, so that didn't work for a start. The wires kept getting in the way, I couldn't lay down comfy, and I didn't like the buzzing feeling it gave me. So as soon as she put it on I took it off!

hiviolet Sun 16-Oct-11 11:13:57

I was pleasantly surprised by how effective it was. When I tested it out before going into labour I couldn't fathom how it was going to help! I found that the sensation from the TENS competed with the contraction, which really dulled the pain.

I used it until I got to about 7cm and got in the birthing pool.

tiokiko Sun 16-Oct-11 12:44:06

I bought mine (Elle Tens) then sold on eBay - the price I got meant that it worked out cheaper than hiring.

I used it at home for 3 days slow labour, kept it on until after I had delivered DD and didn't need anything else until 8cm when I started on G&A.

I was sceptical and didn't think it was doing anything until the MW knocked it off in triage and I really noticed the difference. Yes it's a distraction but it was definitely doing something physically.

Make sure you put it on at the first sign of any contractions otherwise you won't get the build-up that makes it most effective. Worth having spare batteries plus spare electrodes or tape in case you need to use it over several days like I did.

glitternanny Sun 16-Oct-11 15:02:10

Thanks everyone!

Sossiges Sun 16-Oct-11 15:17:23

I hired a tens machine, put it on at about the third contraction and it kept me going all through labour. It was brilliant. I took it off at one point with the intention of having a bath, but had to put it back on again vv quickly as the pain was quite bad without it (stuff the bathshock).

Sandra2011 Sun 16-Oct-11 16:32:25

I used/hired www.babycaretens.com/acatalog/Elle_TENS.html and I didn't find it helpful at all.

Next time I won't bother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now