Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early ultrasound showng 4mm gestational sac

(8 Posts)
bizzylizzy79 Thu 13-Oct-11 21:08:20

Had some pink discharge and had blood tests and ultrasound. HCG levels were 1800 and via vaginal probe 4mm gest sac found but that is all. Was told looks like 4 weeks preg but I thought nearer 6. Should I be worried?

bizzylizzy79 Thu 13-Oct-11 22:04:51

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

thinkingpink Thu 13-Oct-11 23:57:16

hi bizzy. its a tough situation to be in, I know I've been there! all I can say is try not to worry yourself and stay away from Google, that always gives you the worst outcomes!
is there a chance your dates are wrong? I assume they'll be doing follow up blood tests in a couple of days to make sure your levels have doubled? until then its almost impossible to know what's going on.
I would say that a small amount of bleeding is perfectly fine in early pregnancy. as long as the bleeding doesn't get heavier, there are no clots, and you're not in any pain things should be ok.
really hope everything works out for you, fingers crossed. Xx

kdiddy Thu 13-Oct-11 23:57:46

Hi - I had this too, bright red bleeding though. First scan at about 6 weeks and they saw a sac + yolk but nothing else. Asked me to come back 2 weeks later and saw the baby + heartbeat. It was a horrible fortnight but you're very early on and everything is so small that it could just be too soon to see anything.

About your dates, you could have ovulated late, or the embryo could have implanted late - lots of reasons why your dates could be off and at that early stage even a few days makes a big difference about what they can see.

Good luck!

bizzylizzy79 Fri 14-Oct-11 03:07:33

Thank you guys. Yeah, I have to go back sat for bloods. Follow up us 10-14 days. Like you say wait and see just hoping for positive stories I guess.

DejaWho Fri 14-Oct-11 11:36:14

Do you know if you've got a retroverted uterus? (tilted womb for those who don't speak doctorish) I have - a scan at 6 weeks only showed a gestational sac (I'm being monitored following previous miscarriages so lots of scans), then I had quite a large bright red bleed, scan at 7 weeks was still really hard to see but showed changes a yolk sac and a probably heartbeat and it wasn't until 8 weeks that it was visible and confirmed on me - the tilt made the distances to scan through much more arkward (and the layers of flab) meaning that the heartbeat and baby wasn't picked up on until later than you might expect.

Might also be that you ovulated late as well - if you think about the average cycle - this day 14 ovulation is just an assumption based on averages - if you ovulate late, it can throw things out by a few days which when you're dealing with early pregnancy can alter things quite dramatically.

I have had the other ending you're worried about in a previous pregnancy as well - but let's dwell on the positives for now.

bizzylizzy79 Fri 14-Oct-11 19:54:49

Cheers. Play the waiting game I guess, see what hormones are doing tomorrow though. Fingers crossed.

bizzylizzy79 Sat 15-Oct-11 15:01:27

HCG has risen from 1800 to 2800 which apparently should have doubled but progesterone levels are indicitive of a healthy pregnancy. Ho hum, back again on Monday for repeat bloods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now