Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spa days!?!

(5 Posts)
karatekimmi Thu 13-Oct-11 20:11:11

I am going to a health spa (Eden Hall in Nottinghamshire) for my sisters birthday in October. It usually involves spending all day in steam rooms, saunas and hot tubs! I need some advice on what I should/can "safely" do as I'll be about 10 weeks pregnant. I asked my doctor and he said avoid the hot tubs as you can catch chlamydia in them (?!? Not sure if this is true?) but just said whatever I was comfortable with! Any advice?

melliebobs Thu 13-Oct-11 20:35:16

Avoid a hot tub cos of chlamydia?! Wtf. It's recommended to avoid any kind of heat treatments (saunas/hot tubs/hot stone massage) cos you can overheat etc and it can cause drops n rises in blood pressure. But with a hot tub you be fine as they aren't any hotter than a bath! And if your having any kind of massage etc tell the person doing it as they can chose appropriate oils etc

cravingcake Thu 13-Oct-11 22:31:31

It may be worth phoning them beforehand to see what their policy's are. Some treatments are not recommended if you are pregnant. If you are in the steam rooms be careful of getting light-headed or dehydrated & make sure you drink lots of water. Its your own personal choice but i have stayed away from spa's during my pregnancy.

feelingratheroverwhelmed Thu 13-Oct-11 23:28:46

The reason for avoiding hot tubs, saunas etc is because you shouldn;t let your body temp rise too much. Very hot baths aren't good for you either! Most spas have special "mum-to-be" treatments, other treatments won;t be recommended. Have a look at the website and see what the spa menu is.
Have fun!

LouisaJF Fri 14-Oct-11 11:29:01

I'm going to Eden Hall next month! I've been several times before and they are very good there.

You should be very careful about hot tubs and saunas. Talk to the staff there, who should be able to advise you.

Eden Hall do have a Beautiful Bump package with the choice of a couple of treatments tailored for pregnant women (this is what I'm doing). The lunch menu also has a good selection on it as well, so you should be well looked after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now