Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Finding out the sex

(13 Posts)
gimmegimmegimme Thu 13-Oct-11 12:49:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

biglips Thu 13-Oct-11 12:54:28

the sonographer will write it on a piece of paper and give it to you so once you've seen it, you discard it.....couldnt find out with my dd2 as she had her legs permanently crossed! grin

biglips Thu 13-Oct-11 12:54:40

and congrats grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 13-Oct-11 12:56:20

Congratulations from me too. Have been in the opposite situation where DH wanted to know and I didn't. Managed to talk him out of it as one of my friends was told it was a girl and got a boy.

Personally I wouldn't bother.

gimmegimmegimme Thu 13-Oct-11 12:56:25

gimmegimmegimme Thu 13-Oct-11 12:57:57

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 13-Oct-11 13:03:20

Must admit it was enough to put me off. What didn't help is that she is a MW who works on the Antenatal Clinic so if they couldn't get it right for one of their own I wasn't even going to bother asking.

MamochkaAlanki Thu 13-Oct-11 13:12:10

My DH did not want to find out with DD1 and we didn't. I am 17 weeks pregnant with DC2 and this time I have told him that I want to know regardless of his wishes. All pregnancy I have been obsessed about having another girl, so I want to prepare myself if it's a boy (very different pregnancy).
Can't wait to know - I am even referring to baby as "our little princess".

kiki22 Thu 13-Oct-11 13:45:11

I found we're having a boy and am so glad we did i think once you know your DH won't be able to help himself for asking.

A good point to bring up with him is it can be more practical to find out the sex from the point of view your not havin to buy neutral things then still go buy more boy/girl things. It was one of the main reasons we decided to find out as, i didn't want everything in white or lemon smile

cravingcake Thu 13-Oct-11 14:32:40

Had the opposite, OH desperately wanted to know for practical reasons & his argument is that if the technology is there why not. I didnt want to know because i'd hate to be told one sex & the opposite pop out. After much discussion we decided that we would find out but not tell anyone (as i want to have the announcement after the birth, not just baby has arrived). I agreed as my friend pointed out that it would help my OH identify with the baby & make it more real (he was having a hard time getting his head around the whole pregnancy/baby thing).

Our sonographer at the 20 week scan said they cant say definitely but its definitely boy, we also had a 3d scan at around 26 weeks & again we could definitely see for ourselves. I am still only 98% convinced as until my little one is actually here & in my arms & i can see for myself i dont quite beleive it.

Our hospital has clear signs saying that where sex of baby is concerned they willl respect the mothers choice so you have the say if you want to know, & also are confident they wont tell OH without your consent

bottlebank Thu 13-Oct-11 14:36:50

I couldn't avoid knowing, with all my boys their bits hoved into view while the sonographer was doing leg measurements etc! I like knowing but everyone is different. Also we got a lot of 'oh are you hoping for a girl' (no! Just wanted a baby thanks!), so wanted to be able to shut those people up.

I know quite a few couples where one has known and the other hasn't and there was only a problem once, when the H (who knew), said 'he' instead of 'the baby'.

ginaribena Thu 13-Oct-11 20:09:24

Like you I didn't find out for DS1 and DS2 - but for this one I had to know. I couldn't handle the 'will it be a girl/bet you're hoping for a girl' speculation from everyone. Turns out a 3rd boy!!! I'm really glad I know as wasn't sure if I'd have a peculiar emotional reaction to not having a girl when all hormonal after birth, and can field away all those annoying comments. Although now everyone says 'Well the next one will probably be a girl'!!!! 3 is definitely enough thanks!

RickGhastley Thu 13-Oct-11 20:17:30

Had my 20 week scan a few weeks ago. I wanted to know the sex for practical reasons - if it's a girl I can get rid of all DS1's baby clothes- but DP didn't.

I decided to let DP have his way only because he didn't want to know the sex at DS1's 20 week scan and I nagged him into finding out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now