Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm going to be huge and it's making me sad.

(14 Posts)
NoMoreWineForMeThen Wed 12-Oct-11 18:38:19

I haven't lost the weight I gained with my first pregnancy and still have about a stone to go. I'm now pregnant again. Luckily I don't suffer with morning sickness but quite the opposite in fact - a massive appetite.

I'm only 2 months gone and am already gaining weight and it's making me a little sad. I read a thread the other day in which people were saying they hadn't gained any weight or had even lost weight at 17 weeks. God, not gaining any weight seems impossible to me.

I gained 3 stone in my first pregnancy. I'm scared it will be more his time. I don't know what I'm asking for really, maybe just some reassurance that it's normal and there are lots of people that experience such a big surge in appetite when pregnant...?

Flisspaps Wed 12-Oct-11 18:42:12

Not gaining weight in pregnancy isn't normal. Gaining weight is normal, and is a sign that you and your baby are doing what you're supposed to do.

When I can face food, I eat for England and it's only crap being shovelled in.

Don't forget, whatever you gain, you'll lose a stone/stone and a half when baby is born and the placenta and fluid have gone.

NoMoreWineForMeThen Wed 12-Oct-11 18:51:57

Thanks for the reply.

With my first pregnancy, my boss had guessed I was pregnant before I told him at 12 week because my tummy was so large already.

I guess I would feel differently if I had managed to lose all of the extra weight before becoming pregnant again. I worry about having another stone that I can't get rid of!

Tidypidy Wed 12-Oct-11 18:56:41

I was in same situation with my second only I had 2 stone left to lose, am now pregnant with third and am about 3 stone overweight - lots of comfort eating through a stressful situation at work. Like you I'm worried about gaining lots of weight again but I'm planning to ask my GP and midwife for advice this time around.

NoMoreWineForMeThen Wed 12-Oct-11 19:03:51

I'm going to try and do a few swims or walks a week I think. I can't seem to eat less but perhaps I can exercise a little to offset the damage.

I think last time part of the issue was that I continued to eat at the same rate after DD was born. My excuse was breastfeeding but it was clear that friends were losing their baby weight easily whilst mine was staying put.

kiki22 Wed 12-Oct-11 19:30:15

i have a huge appetite since falling pregnant but have only put on a stone at 25 weeks i've tried to keep the weight at bay by doing things like when i want chocolate i'll buy a milkyway instead of a dairy milk or split the bar with someone and if i want crisps i have rice cakes usually snack a jacks, sucking on polo mints n potatos instead of chips. Oh and a can of diet fizzy juice instead of a treat. also make sure i drink tons of water / squash to fill my tummy up. or low fat yogurts activia are really great yummy and fill you up.

I know it's not really healthy but stops me wanting family packs of choc n crisps so i'm going with it

catgirl1976 Wed 12-Oct-11 19:53:49

I am eating like a horse and have put 3.5 stone on.

I have a HUGE appetite and I don't give a monkeys - it will come off later. Probably smile

Chill and enjoy the pregnancy - try to be healthy put you are pregnant - you will put weight on!

NoobyNoob Thu 13-Oct-11 06:53:06

You need to stop putting pressure on yourself and concentrate on you and your baby for now.

They'll be plenty of time to lose weight once the baby gets here. Concentrate on eating healthily and doing a little exercise.

PeggyCarter Thu 13-Oct-11 07:07:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pregnantmimi Thu 13-Oct-11 07:07:13

I agree with catgirl I have put 3 stone on and it did bother me in the first trimester as that was when I put 2 stone (my thyroid went low too) on but I dont care now. Im going to get fat anyway so might as well enjoy it and eat all the naughty things I have to normally avoid as well as eating healthy of course Im 30 weeks now and I dont think 3 stone is excessive at all and sod it it will come off xx

Tortoiseinadarkspell Thu 13-Oct-11 07:32:22

I feel just like you, OP, and I hate myself for it (why am I so vain, why can't I just revel in my general womanliness). I was a stone heavier when I got pregnant this time and although I've put on about the same amount of weight as last time (2 stone at 34 weeks), I look far further on and have done since early first tri. Since about 30 weeks I have been fielding many, many horrified looks and expressions of sympathy and the occasional 'my GOD I wasn't that big when I DELIVERED' (actual quote from total stranger) and I swear I'm getting actual depression symptoms. I just want to not leave the house. Ever.

First pregnancy, I was neat and contained and healthy and everyone said how well I looked. This time, I am blatantly lying about my due date. And I hate myself because I keep thinking how it is all my fault. And I have way more stretchmarks this time around. And I feel like I'm not doing pregnancy
'properly'. And, well, ugh.

Iggly Thu 13-Oct-11 10:14:48

What sort of food are you eating? Can you switch to no chocolate, crisps etc? I found myself eating those foodsbecause they were easier than more healthy snacks (eg work vend machine) so made an effort to buy healthy snacks on our weekly shop and take them in (eg cheese and crackers, nuts, hummus).

pregnantmimi Thu 13-Oct-11 19:09:05

you know its so rude I had the god I wasnt that big at full term when I was 20 weeks and its like oh well good for you do you think Im a fat cow or something woman are just silly about weight and prob jel about you being pregnant and gettin attention so have to make some nasty comment but men on the other hand are lovely I noticed since being pregnant.

blueskydrinking Thu 13-Oct-11 21:32:31

Don't worry. Honestly. Your body needs what it needs when you're pregnant and as long as you're getting the proper nutrients each day, go with it.

I put on over 4 stone with DS but it did disappear again, with very little effort on my part other than running around after a toddler. It didn't go immediately but it did go. I was quite skinny beforehand and think my body just knew what it needed to grow and sustain another little being.

The midwives I saw during my pregnancy never batted an eyelid either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now