Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Seizure like movements-anyone else?

(13 Posts)
banana87 Wed 12-Oct-11 13:25:33

Reallllly hoping some of you have had the same as google is not proving very helpful!

I am 34 weeks with DC2. Didn't have this first time around. Sometimes, baby will have what I can only describe as a seizure like movement that lasts about 5-10 seconds before normal movement resumes. It's only happened a handful of times but is very worrying as it's so odd! Anyone else?

mrsrvc Wed 12-Oct-11 13:40:43

I had this last time and discussed it with my consultant. She said that it was VERY unlikely that it was actual seizures and that it was probably just a very quick series of the jerky movements that babies make, particularly if they have gotten themselves into an uncomfortable position.
I hope that is of some reassurance. Might be worth mentioning to your MW next time though.

MixedBerries Wed 12-Oct-11 13:42:35

Yes, I've had this. Not sure what it is but the MW said it may be baby stretching- like when you stretch in the morning it's sometimes a bit shaky. Makes sense I suppose. I was a bit worried as epilepsy runs in my family but I have heard plenty of other people reporting this and they've all been fine.

natwebb79 Wed 12-Oct-11 14:13:50

I've had this and when I asked a few friends they said they had it too. Just baby stretching apparently smile

grottielottie Wed 12-Oct-11 16:03:09

Yep I've had this too, apparently it's perfectly normal and related to the fact that the babies nervous system is developing so movements are often uncontrolled and jerky.

banana87 Wed 12-Oct-11 16:36:34

Thank you! I feel very reassured now. Think I will step away from dr google smile

NorthernChinchilla Wed 12-Oct-11 19:21:07

Glad to hear someone else has had it too! Mine has done this occasionally, and did so today in fact- feels like my belly's vibrating for a few seconds.

MummyAbroad Wed 12-Oct-11 23:07:20

Hey banana long time no see!

I have had this loads, basically since movements first started. Its really freaking me out as like you I didnt feel anything like that with DS. I am just hoping its one of those "all pregnancies are different things" and is nothing serious.

Hope you are well. xx

FessaEst Wed 12-Oct-11 23:34:02

I didn't have this at all with DD1, so was all the more worried when it started with DD2. I nearly cried when I told the MW I was sure DD2 had some sort of neuro condition due to the weird movements. She reassured me it was normal, and I guess she was right, as DD2 now a healthy 12 wk old! Good luck.

Greenleafytrees Thu 13-Oct-11 13:41:05

Yip, had this both times. Both DC were fine. I remember googling like mad though, it's v a strange feeling!

Broody1976 Thu 13-Oct-11 13:47:32

I've had this too - I'm almost 33 weeks.

I call it the Scooby Doo movement. Like in the cartoon when scooby & shaggy are trying to get away from the baddies and they run on the spot for a few seconds before actually moving. blush Never even entered my head that it could be anything sinister. But glad to hear other people have had it too.

ALotToTakeIn Thu 13-Oct-11 15:11:28

I had this too lots and lots but called it Animal like the muppet drum player. this is my 1st pg so didn't think anything of it either, I kind of miss it now all I get is rib stretching kicks and DC using my bladder as a space hopper! But at 38+4 I can't possibly have that much longer left hmm

BaldricksTurnip Thu 13-Oct-11 23:02:38

I had this while pg with DS3 who is now two weeks old, and I can now see that it's his little foot twitching when he's having a stretch! Nothing to worry about after all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now