Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is my bump too big?

(5 Posts)
justhayley Tue 11-Oct-11 22:14:44

Hiya I'm 12 weeks and am worried my bump is growing to fast for my body. I look about 5 months and my bumps heavy and a bit tender. My stomach feels over stretched and I'm really uncomfortable. I had an early scan at 7 weeks but havnt had my dating scan yet, Im convinced I'm further along than they think. should I even have a bump at 12 weeks? Let alone a big one?
Is there a "normal" size bumps should be at varies stages of pregnancy?

Thanks Hayley x

Oeisha Tue 11-Oct-11 22:23:41

So many factors go into bump size. If you're a dwarf short person like me, you'll have a prominent bump early on. Also, at 12wks there's a good chance you're bloated. Sometimes I looked VERY pg at that point, then a few days later, back down to a neat wee bump - would tally with the tender bump and feeling like you might burst too. People keep telling me how massive I am at 25wks, but bump is measuring easily within the percentiles, so don't feel too worried about it.
Suggestions would be to swim (helps pass any unwanted gas) and eat lots of salads etc for the same reason. At least that way you can rule out gas/bloating. Try gently rubbing tummy with some coco-butter/oil/whatever etc as this can enourage wind out too.
If worrying, and you can't make it to the dating scan (must be due soon, usually between 11-13wks), then give MW a ring.

spritzercat Tue 11-Oct-11 23:15:17

Hi Hayley,

I second what Oeisha said. I looked pregnant (especially after eating) from 9 weeks. At 12 weeks it was obvious I was pregnant - I was well rounded and as for my boobs, crikey they were a welcomed surprise. I am now 27 weeks and waddling quite nicely and my bump is a nice size. smile

I've had the stretched feeling on and off throughout pregnancy. I actually called the midwife in a panic at 25 weeks because my bump was so sore and didn't feel right. She confirmed that my uterus was moving north and so crushing moving my stomach and intestines out of the way in the process.

You do get used to your tummy's stretches and strains. If you are ever worried though do call your midwife though. Also I've found mumsnet pregnancy forum really useful so far as well.

spritzercat Tue 11-Oct-11 23:15:38

PS Congratulations by the way smile

justhayley Wed 12-Oct-11 14:19:32

Thank you both grin not feeling as massive today so maybe ur right & I'm bloated. will deff try swimming - although with how I felt yesterday I reckon the bump would drag me under and drown me lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now