Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possibly pregnant and mirena coil...

(10 Posts)
Ohffsijustneedaname Tue 11-Oct-11 20:33:33

Hi

Wondering if anyone has any experience or advice?

Back story, DD2, 18mo, was conceived on mirena coil, I had it removed and a week later got a bfp, with no possible way she was conceived after removal. Obviously all was fine as she is well and a normal 18mo (albeit possibly cheekier than norm).

Got coil inserted again over a year ago due to very heavy periods, that were still heavy and 28 day cycle up till last month. Lasted for 2 weeks out of every month, made me really ill. Period due on Monday, had an hour of bleeding then nothing. Exhausted, heightened sense of smell and awful headaches. Took test this evening and faint line.

So I'm going to phone gp tomorrow but should I ask for emergency appt as I still have the coil or am I ok to wait (usually a week or so).

If I am in fact pregnant what should I expect re: mirena?

Ohffsijustneedaname Tue 11-Oct-11 21:37:10

MrsHoolie Tue 11-Oct-11 21:51:34

Hello. I would try and get an appointment asap just to get some advice/reassurance.Isn't there a higher chance of an ectopic with a coil?(sorry I may be wrong here!).
Please post back with how you get on with the Dr.
Btw,I'm sure I have seen threads on here about pregnancy and the mirena,maybe have a search through the archives.
Hope you are feeling ok.

Ohffsijustneedaname Wed 12-Oct-11 23:27:30

HI,

I took another test this morning and it was negative, to be honest i'm more inclined to trust this mornings as the one i took before had been in the cupboard for a while.

But I still have symptoms, really really sore head and back pain radiating up to my shoulder and into my neck (not shoulder tip pain).

I don't know what to do now?

MrsHoolie Thu 13-Oct-11 00:27:41

How strange. I don't think it's possible to have a false positive result as the test only picks up a hormone that exists in pregnancy.
However an out of date one can not be relied upon.
Perhaps a trick to the Dr to double check?
Is it possible an egg was fertilised but couldn't stick as the coil creates a hostile environment(hence higher ectopic rate)?
Sorry....thinking aloud.

Ohffsijustneedaname Thu 13-Oct-11 06:44:28

I think I will call the doctor. But I might seem insane, although I have been to the gp almost every month for the past while as my periods have been so bad that I had been getting really run down and ended up with tonsillitis, chest infections or throat infections every month so it's very odd that there is no period at all this month. With dd1 I feel pregnant very close to when my period was due, we had been trying for a while and were at the stage of taking my temp every morning and it turns out my ovulating period is right before my period and not in the middle of my cycle, so DP thinks maybe I'm just testing too soon and to wait till next week. I'm worried to wait though due to having the coil in.

Thanks for replying mrs Hoolie. (and are you the real miss Hoolie?? smile

MrsHoolie Thu 13-Oct-11 10:46:42

I am not the real Miss Hoolie....I am married to her brother hence Mrs Hoolie wink
let us know how you get on at the Dr's.

Ohffsijustneedaname Thu 13-Oct-11 13:09:15

Ahh my mum delivered the real Miss Hoolies baby so that would have been exciting! smile

I can't get an appt till next thursday, haven't asked for an emergency as i feel fine today, but will keep an eye on it all.

The last visit to the GP he actually referred me to gynaecology (waiting on appt) as my periods were so bad, which is why this has all totally thrown me.

I was reading somewhere (googled as you do) that you can have a negative right up to 19 days after conception so that would be the weekend, so will test again next week.

MrsHoolie Fri 14-Oct-11 13:51:37

Wow that's a good claim to fame!
Let us know how you get on grin

first1 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:12:23

Op, I'm sure you and your gp have considered this but any chance erratic bleeding thus far could be the coil just settling in and now it's sorted itself out and your periods have stopped? I bled like a crazy woman for 3months after having mine inserted, and have heard it can take up to a year to establish itself. Just thinking aloud hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now