Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anomaly scan - do i need a full bladder?

(12 Posts)
DawnOfTheDeementedDead Tue 11-Oct-11 18:32:28

This is DC5, so i should know blush

Have my anomaly scan tomorrow, and just can't remember.

Crosshair Tue 11-Oct-11 18:35:06

I think I had a half full bladder but I cant quite remember either. confused

FannibalLecter Tue 11-Oct-11 18:36:44

No, it's not a requirement (had one a couple of months ago), plus would be quite uncomfortable if you did!

stripeybump Tue 11-Oct-11 18:38:11

They say to drink a pint of water 10 mins before, they have water in coolers usually for this purpose. Good luck - you finding out the gender?

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Tue 11-Oct-11 18:45:57

Thanks all.

Yes, i think we will, Stripey, but only because if it's a boy theres a chance of him having a kindey or renal condition similar to the one that DS1 had, and i need to know wether to worry or not grinBut we shan't tell anyone, irl anyway.

beatrice75 Tue 11-Oct-11 19:02:02

Definitely better NOT to have a full bladder. I had the 20 week scan 3 weeks ago and I had a full bladder due to the long wait. It made the sonographer's work much harder and she asked me to go and have a wee and come back. Apparently it only helps in early pregnancy scans.
Good luck for tomorrow by the way, you must be excited1

wompoopigeon Tue 11-Oct-11 19:45:17

My sonographer told me that it was pointless for the 20 week scan.

whackamole Tue 11-Oct-11 21:53:56

Nope.

Oeisha Tue 11-Oct-11 22:04:04

I was asked to drink "a decent sized glass of water, so there's something in there" about an hour before hand. Not the full amount you needed for the 12wks scan, but something in there. I think the idea is to push LO up a bit if needed/they're burried in you cervix. I drank about 300ml and LO was easy to search about...but she was also bouncing on her head...curious blighter.
If in doubt, ring the department 1st thing...they'll let you know!
Good luck! grin

Mum2be79 Wed 12-Oct-11 08:26:39

I was told YES for dating scan but I wasn't told either way for my anomaly scan. I panicked - thinking I did, but when I went in, I had to go an empty it!?! just like I did on my dating scan.

Hotpotpie Wed 12-Oct-11 09:51:19

I thought I was going to explode at my dating scan nice to know I wont be wetting myself this time grin I spent the whole 20 minutes lying on the bed thinking I was going to wet myself, and we had a lovely sonographer who because we had been having problems let us have a very long look at the baby, Ive never felt to ungrateful in my life!

AKMD Wed 12-Oct-11 11:40:18

The sonographer at my dating scan rushed it because she took one look at my bladder (up on screen, cheers) and said, "We'll make this nice and quick because that looks extremely uncomfortable." blush

No to drinking enough to make you wet yourself for the anomaly scan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now