Talk

Advanced search

Consultant Appointment

(5 Posts)
Summerblaze Mon 10-Oct-11 23:44:48

Me again.

I went for my first scan 2 weeks ago. Showed a lovely baby, heart beating away. Was told everything looked good and gave me a due date.

After my scan, I went to have my booking bloods taken as the midwife at my booking appointment couldn't get a vein. This time they got it first time.

Today, I received a letter from the hospital to ask me to go for an appointment with a consultant. I was very confused as no-one had mentioned anything to me either the midwife or at the scan. I rang the number on the letter and she said that the consultant wanted to see me once I had had my 20 week scan. I go for my scan in November and this appointment is in December. I asked why and she asked if I had had any problems, I said no. She said she would look in my notes. When she came back, she said that the consultant had underlined the fact that my paternal grandmother had thrombosis when she was 80 ish. She said he is most likely just checking.

Is it just me or does this all sound a bit strange. My grandmother was 80 ish when she got thrombosis, I am 33. She was a very short, rather overweight lady who had agoraphobia in later life and did nothing all day but lay on her bed and read magazines. Although I am short, I am quite slim and have a healthy bmi. I also have 2 children who I run around after all day as well as a job and a home to run. I haven't had any problems with my legs, back etc in either of my other pregnancies.

Could this be something they have seen on the scan. I thought they had to tell you there and then if they saw a problem on the scan. Or could it be my blood, in which case, surely waiting for 2 months isn't the best idea. If it is just to check, surely this is a big fat waste of time and NHS money.

Anyone else had something similar.

goodnightmoon Tue 11-Oct-11 07:58:51

i really doubt it's to do with your blood tests or scans. Is there anything else in your notes that indicates a risk? some midwives are just very cautious and refer to a consultant on anything. I got referred to genetics just because my aunt had a stillbirth 20 years ago from chromosomal abnormalities - though she went on to have a healthy child, I already have a healthy child, and actually DH and I both had already had genetic testing after earlier miscarriages.

my midwife also said she was referring me to a consultant this time because i'd had forceps in my last birth (plus some other complications) so maybe you had intervention in the past and that was a flag too for your midwife?

edwinbear Tue 11-Oct-11 08:03:23

It will most be likely be to do with the thrombosis and once you've explained the history behind it, the consultant will probably discharge you back to midwife care. I was referred to a consultant with DS due to a problem with my neck, completely unrelated to pregnancy/labour but just a super cautious midwife. The consultant asked a few problems about it and I went straight back to midwife led.

edwinbear Tue 11-Oct-11 08:03:47

should be questions, not problems.....

BuffyFan Tue 11-Oct-11 08:47:20

I agree - sounds like you have a cautious MW, that's all. From my (limited) experience, consultants will soon bat you back to MW-led care if they're happy there's low risk to you and baby. I was referred to consultant care because my BMI was on the edge of the "high" range. I had my last cons appt at 32 weeks and he looked at me as if to say "what are you doing here?" and told me he didn't want to see me again.

And if you are in consultant-led care, remember it's them being cautious and wanting to look after you - and you may well get a couple of extra scans of the baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now