Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

flying in pregnancy?

(22 Posts)
PipIsOutNow Mon 10-Oct-11 18:48:36

when is it safe or not safe to fly in pregnancy?
we will be ttc next month and have a hol booked for next may...I conceived straight away with ds so if that happens again I'll be around 6 months preg. will it be safe to fly do u think?xx

stripeybump Mon 10-Oct-11 18:50:51

Different airlines have different rules, individual airlines' websites should be your starting point - or your travel agent if booked through one. I think in general it's not advised before 12 weeks because they don't want to be responsible for miscarriage, and not allowed at all in the third trimester as they don't want a woman giving birth in the air!

Magicrabbit Mon 10-Oct-11 19:00:52

Pip - I'm in exactly the same dilemma! My understanding was that you can fly up to 28 weeks with no problem then after that you need a doctors note. My friend flew to Greece when she was 33 weeks, without any issue. I don't know what the latest time is when you are able to fly though. Maybe worth asking you gp? If you find out, please let me know too!

PipIsOutNow Mon 10-Oct-11 19:09:32

thanks guys! I will find out what Thompson's regs are on this and also check that my insurance covers it. Are there any dangers to the baby when flying do u know? I know it's not ideal to have to fly when pregnant but we feel that having another baby is a now or never scenario!! xx

MrsHuxtable Mon 10-Oct-11 19:13:42

It's not dangerous as in, it won't do you any harm if your healthy. Airlines just don't want to be responsible for babies being born in the air. But like a previous poster said, how long they transport you, depends on their regulations and insurance. Lufthansa takes you til the end of week 36.

I think the bigger issue is about where you want to go in case you need vaccinations that can't be done while pregnant or ttc.

pregnantmimi Mon 10-Oct-11 19:29:13

its fine i been abroad 6 times while pregnant no worries walk around bit more I stopped at 28 weeks cause I felt too big to bother you can fly upto 36 weeks my midwife said. You need note after 28 weeks with most airlines. Only worry is if you go into labour early but unlikely. Also good to walk around more. Its not wrong to fly at all its more if anything happens over whatever country you are in and you need for example any injections scan etc you will have to pay most insurance wont cover you unless you get a dead expensive one. xx

PipIsOutNow Mon 10-Oct-11 19:59:00

thanks guys...hopefully i wouldnt be more than 28 weeks anyway...and my last pregnancy was fine up until week 34 so should be fine to fly...only going to majorca too so shouldnt need and vaccinations...thnak u so much for putting my mind at rest ladies xx

kdiddy Mon 10-Oct-11 20:33:55

I recently went away at 24 weeks (25 on way back). 5 hour flight - totally fine although wouldn't have fancied anything longer as it was pretty uncomfortable (low-cost airline though!!). Didn't need a doctor's letter either. It's a great time to go away I think - I'd definitely do it again.

Melissad Mon 10-Oct-11 21:03:15

I flew to Cyprus in August (4 hr flight) when I was 25 weeks pregnant; flew back at 27 weeks pregnant. It was fine. I bought flight socks, but didn't wear them in the end cos they were so uncomfortable! I took my pregnancy notes in my carry on bag and a note from my midwife to say I was fit to fly (I got one in case I was questioned).. in the end,nobody asked me if I was pregnant, how pregnant, to see my notes etc.. I walked straight through check in and security with a noticeable bump and not a single question. It was very hot in Cyprus (38 degrees) and we booked the trip before finding out I was pregnant. It was a lovely holiday, but too hot!

Fresh01 Mon 10-Oct-11 21:58:12

I have done it several times when pregnant. Did a 1 hour domestic flight at the weekend there and I am 29 weeks with 4th pregnancy. Noone asked any questions and I felt fine.

I have flown to France several times (when pregnant with no. 2, 3 and this time) when pregnant (before 24 weeks) and the only part that has been uncomfortable has been the toddler sitting on my knee for a fair amount of the flight. Under 2 so didn't get their own seat.

When I was expecting my first I flew from Australia (use to live there) to UK for a family wedding when I was 27 weeks and back at 29 weeks. The only airline to ask for a fit to fly letter was the 1hr domestic flight to London!! I wore flight socks, drank lots of water and wandered about regularly usually to the loo : ) The journey involved 23 hours in the air and 30 hours travelling. It was fine.

Like PP's have said main thing is to check out your insurance cover.

stripeybump Mon 10-Oct-11 22:44:55

If the baby was born in say French airspace, would he get a French passport? hmm

grin

laracroft2001 Tue 11-Oct-11 07:59:07

british airways allow you to fly up to 36 weeks if you have a medical certificate (which is about 3 lines long and will cost you £25!!). I have a 1 hour flight when I am 34 weeks and 34+4 weeks pregnant x

Woodifer Tue 11-Oct-11 10:12:40

I flew short haul (France) at 28 weeks, I would wear flight socks - I didn't my ankles ballooned! Mind you the ones I have now from Boots (bought since then) aren't that uncomfy, and I'm wearing them for sitting at my desk at work (now 36+3).

Magicrabbit Tue 11-Oct-11 10:28:45

Pip - I've just called Thomson Airways (we going away with first choice) and with a doctors note you can fly short haul up to 36 weeks, long haul up to 34 weeks or 32 weeks if a multiple birth... Hope that helps!! It's given me some reassurance in case we fall lucky in the next month or so x

PipIsOutNow Tue 11-Oct-11 10:44:28

wow thank u so much!! magic are u ttc too? maybe we could share our journey!! xxx

Magicrabbit Tue 11-Oct-11 13:11:52

Yes Pip, we're about ready to start ttc in the next month. We have a ds aged 2 and sadly, I had a mc at 12 weeks very recently so getting ready to try again now. We have a hol booked for next June so been trying to work out the dates, to make sure I can still go (as it is with our wider family members). Would be good to keep in touch to see how we both get on..! x

PipIsOutNow Tue 11-Oct-11 15:54:13

definitely!! I would love that!! I am so sorry to hear of your mc though...I too have mc but before ds who is now 15 months old...we have very similar circumstances!! Is there anyway we can private message eachother or swap email addresses or something? would be lovely to have someone to talk to at such a private and secretive time!! xx

Magicrabbit Tue 11-Oct-11 21:06:28

Pip - I've messaged you... x

Mum2be79 Tue 11-Oct-11 21:22:57

Hmm - i flew at 20 weeks and found the 3 1/2 hours uncomfortable (I was in the middle seat). Try and get the aisle seat if possible. And yes, safe but check with your airline. I didn't need a certificate until 28 weeks and I wasn't asked on the outward journey but going home from Madeira, I was asked questions. Take your notes with you, just in case.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 11-Oct-11 21:24:30

travel insurance is a bigger deal than the airline (just lie to the airline on the day if you're a week or two over their recommendations), most insurers will cover you to 32 weeks but I have managed to find one that will consider you til 36

6months is fine

Magicrabbit Tue 11-Oct-11 21:34:26

girl What insurance company covers you at 36 weeks out of interest? Would be useful to know. Thanks x

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 11-Oct-11 21:37:16

hmmm, will have a dig around, I found it a while ago when I thought I might have a job in NYC but will sadly be 38 weeks when it starts...think I literally googled "late pregnancy travel insurance"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now