Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy Rhinitis driving me mad!

(5 Posts)
teacher123 Mon 10-Oct-11 05:23:05

Hi all, have been up since 4am unable to breathe through my nose with congestion that is impossible to clear. I'm 11wks pregnant. I've been very sneezy/bunged up since I found out I was pregnant, but this is definitely the worst that it's been. Everytime I feel myself dropping off to sleep I panic and think I can't breathe and wake up again. Have tried Vicks, saline nasal spray, hayfever/decongestant spray and steam but nothing is helping. I feel rubbish :-( has anyone else suffered from this and got any fantastic tips that I haven't tried? Or are there any OTC decongestants I could take? Am going to try and get a drs appt today. If I manage to stay awake long enough.

YBR Mon 10-Oct-11 07:25:03

I get rhinitus anyway and by GP switched me onto a prescription nasal spray so there are medicines you can take - he said it was safer than OTC Beconase, plus it's free!
Give it a few days to really get working though.

Rikalaily Mon 10-Oct-11 08:02:27

You shouldn't use anything with a decongestant in when you are pregnant. I had gestational rhinitis with my last pregnancy, you can take Piriton while you are pregnant, your GP can prescribe it.

teacher123 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:45:55

Managed to get a Drs appt and have been prescribed Beconase.... Fingers crossed I manage some sleep tonight! Thank you for your replies.

dooscooby Mon 10-Oct-11 14:28:12

Hi - i've had this problem all the way through and it's so annoying, I feel for you. I haven't really bothered with anything other than the breathe right strips every evening/night (and during the day when I'm at home) which help a bit but are costly throughout the entire pregnancy! Maybe I should mention it to my Doctor - I jus assumed they'd say they can't help and you can't take anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now