Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I get a private scan

(12 Posts)
popcornchicken Sun 09-Oct-11 22:52:57

Hi I have just had my twenty week scan and I wanted to know what it was and they could not tell . Would I be able to have another scan or would I pay for a private one?

cece Sun 09-Oct-11 22:59:10

I doubt you will get another NHS one as they got all the info the needed. Finding out the gender is not the point of the scan, it is check the baby to see if it is healthy.

So yes I think you will have to pay privately if you are really that bothered about finding out.

feekerry Mon 10-Oct-11 09:03:08

Ye you'd have to pay for a private one. Nhs 20 week scan is not for finding out gender . Happened to my friend last week and she paid for a private one week after. Good luck

Squiglettsmummy2bx Mon 10-Oct-11 11:26:44

I paid for a 4d gender scan a few days after my 20 wk scan as squiglett was hiding his bits smile It cost me £99 but was worth every penny & I have a DVD I can watch over & over.

mosschops30 Mon 10-Oct-11 11:31:15

Yes you could pay for a private one, my 20 week private scan cost £120 i think

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 10-Oct-11 12:31:31

Yes, you'll have to pay for a private one - or just wait another 20 weeks and it'll all become clear then! I actually slightly hope they can't tell at the 20 week scan as I just can't decide if I want to find out and would happy to have the decision taken out my hands! But I appreciate that's not much help if you're desperate to know.

lynniep Mon 10-Oct-11 12:38:00

what everyone else said
BUT
its worth checking with any local training hospitals. Addenbrookes (Cambridge) do training scans and they pay YOU to volunteer. I think you have to be between 20 and 32 weeks but I could recall wrong (A fiver for travel costs is what I got for DS2 - I would happily have done it for free!)

They were all lovely and spent ages looking at him and telling me (well, the trainee!) what we were looking at. His cord was covering his bits on my 20 week so they couldnt tell. I think I was about 30 weeks when I had the training scan done.

popcornchicken Mon 10-Oct-11 20:38:13

Think will probs have a private scan wouldnt have minded but the midwife said well I think its a boy but the cord is covering so dont go mad buying blue things was a bit anoyed would have rather of left it and not known now im just thinking is it or not .

Georgimama Mon 10-Oct-11 20:40:23

If it helps we had similar issue at 20 week scan with our second child - the midwife said she thought it was a girl, pretty certain it is but don't hold me to it. She was right - girl.

If you really want to know have a private scan but you could have same issue again.

redglow Mon 10-Oct-11 20:56:23

That would be really annoying paying for another scan then having the same problem. Why not wait for the suprise?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 11-Oct-11 23:29:20

The sonographer is not allowed to tell you 100% what the sex is, in case they're wrong and you might sue the hospital. However, they are usually right, they just tell you in a way so they cover their backsides. I was very similarly disappointed with my scan. The sonographer was very non-committal but said it was a girl. And she was right. I'd say 90% you're having a boy.

GemmaReeto Wed 12-Oct-11 09:52:25

I was told at my 20 NHS scan that midwife 'thought' the baby was a girl as she couldnt see any boys bits but baby was not in a good position for her to be sure. I went for a private scan. A place in my area does gender scans for £55. I waited until I was 22 weeks and luckily baby had moved into the perfect position for a good view! It is a risk as I could have gone again and still not got a good view but some companies who do gender scans will let you go back if they cant see, you would need ask them on their policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now