Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone else survived the newborn stage without suffering complete exhaustion or am I wearing my Rose tinted specs?

(18 Posts)
Scaredconfusedexcited Sun 09-Oct-11 20:53:52

Have 3dc and can't remember being "exhausted" was obv tired after getting up for night feeds but still able to function normally during the day.

Now pregnant with dc4 and I'm starting to wonder if I'm in for a huge shock grin perhaps my mind has just blocked out the really bad parts!

Um... grin

Congratulations! Even if you are exhausted, you know it won't last forever grin

reallyfuckingscared Sun 09-Oct-11 20:56:36

Newborn was a walk in the park compared to the stress of working plus small child(ren) after 4 years of no sleep. That's exhaustion.

notnowbernard Sun 09-Oct-11 20:59:46

newborn was the easy bit for me

never felt sleep-deprived until about post-6m when the whole up every 2hrs to feed/rock/pat/shush etc etc startred to wear a little thin...

tbh i felt high for the 1st couple of months with the 3 of mine. Lovely days smile

congratulations!

Marne Sun 09-Oct-11 21:02:06

I agree with reallyfuckingscared (love the name), newborn stage is easy, yes the sleep thing is hard but the rest is a breeze, i found it harder when they start moving around and cutting out the naps grin. I have a 7 and a 5 year old who still don't sleep through, its become routine getting up in the night.

bigkidsdidit Sun 09-Oct-11 21:02:09

Well DS woke a LOT as a newborn. But even when he was waking every hour, and I was feeding round the clock, I was massively less tired than I was when pregnant. Pregnancy drained me so much! So once he was here it was like a massive infusion of energy grin

Francagoestohollywood Sun 09-Oct-11 21:15:54

Well, our first didn't sleep much and would be up for hrs in the middle of the night. So yes, I was exhausted. Dh was knackered.

Our second was a very good sleeper, so we were quite rested (if it wasn't for the first child waking up too early)

Mind you, both me and dh would easily sleep 12 hrs in a row, if allowed...

whackamole Sun 09-Oct-11 21:19:47

Have no memory of the first 6 weeks really, so I guess it must have been a breeze....

RitaMorgan Sun 09-Oct-11 21:22:58

I found the newborn bit ok (after the first 2-3 weeks) - up until 5 months ds was in my bed and we just fed and slept at night, so no problem really. It was when he went into his own room at 5 months that I got tired from having to get up to him!

onepieceofcremeegg Sun 09-Oct-11 21:26:24

With dd1 I had an absolutely dreadful pregnancy, constantly sick, hospitalised with hyperemesis, hardly slept. So when she was born, (and we were also very lucky she was a "good" sleeper), having undisturbed sleep for 3/4/5 hours at a times was fantastic and I felt so much better.

With dd2, pregnancy was better, but she wasn't a great sleeper when she was born, so I did feel more tired. However apart from the odd bad night I wouldn't have called it exhaustion.

cherrysodalover Sun 09-Oct-11 21:54:45

Yes- i co slept( safely) and got plenty of sleep but am tired now by the toddler stage.

Grumpla Sun 09-Oct-11 21:57:56

Er... nope... I was a total zombie for about three months.

Iggly Sun 09-Oct-11 21:58:59

I found the newborn stage knackering - DS did have reflux though which added to things. Now as a toddler it's easier as he sleeps and naps well although tiring running after him (I am 7 months pregnant).

Am getting scared about DC2 though and doing the newborn thing again. Have decided I'm co-sleeping for the first few months at least as I think I stopped too early with DS.

Bumpsadaisie Mon 10-Oct-11 07:41:10

I found the newborn stage great - a huge relief after pregnancy. Yes I was tired but dd slept with me in bed for the first weeks so we slept ok. Bfing was great and gave me a hormonal buzz. I lost loads of weight quickly and was just feeling really active.

It was harder when DD was 18 mths and having a 6 week sleep regression. Up half the night with her and then into work, howl!

Late pregnancy this time round with 2.3 year old (due in a week) has been much harder than the newborn stage ever was! It's surprising what you can actually cope with really! wink

razzdazz Mon 10-Oct-11 09:42:28

I found the newborn stage a breeze compared to being pregnant!! Seriously, had hypremesis the entire pregnancies so suddenly felt so well after the births that I could have coped with anything!!!!wink

Thzumbiewitch Mon 10-Oct-11 09:49:49

I actually didn't mind the newborn stage. The worst bit was the 2h b'feeds, but since I was lying in bed at the time, it wasn't horrendous. I was tired, yes, but because I had decided to co-sleep and DH was cooking dinner (as he was doing NONE of the night work), it was ok.

sandyballs Mon 10-Oct-11 09:54:31

I remember me and dh being so exhausted that we were almost hallucinating but it was with twins so possibly why.

msbuggywinkle Mon 10-Oct-11 22:09:45

Wasn't exhausted with DD2. But then she was never terribly interested in milk at night.

I won't mention DD1 except to say that when DD3 arrives she will be being put back if she is as interesting a sleeper as DD1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now