Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pain in rib under right boob 29 weeks pregnant

(12 Posts)
pregnantmimi Sun 09-Oct-11 00:45:25

Terrible pain in right rib worse at night. Nothing seems to help it also feels a bit numb. Anyone know anything that can help with this?

CardyMow Sun 09-Oct-11 01:03:28

Have you had any protein in your wee tests, and/or is your BP starting to rise?

CardyMow Sun 09-Oct-11 01:05:15

If either of these are the case, then it is worth talking to your GP / MW at your next antenatal. In fact - mention it anyway please.

TheSydenhamSet Sun 09-Oct-11 01:09:26

I had this with both pregnancies and awful!! yep, pain and numbness. i found the only thing was to stretch out on couch to relieve pressure.

i was told it was the expanding uterus, pushing up into ribs. some days it was better, some times awful. only completely went when i gave birth.

try stretching out.

MixedBerries Sun 09-Oct-11 09:38:33

It's called rib flare and is bit of a nightmare! Try leaning forward sitting at a table to expand the ribcage or sitting cross legged on the floor (if your pelvis still works) with hands on your head. Other than that, cold compresses might work. You have my full sympathy! It's really annoying.

pregnantmimi Sun 09-Oct-11 18:29:33

thanks for replies ladies huntycatinawitchyhat I did have high blood pressure last week and protein in urine had to have steroid injections just in case he had to come out early next day blood pressure normal and proteins gone in wee? The midwife said the protein could have been just something simple nothing to worry about and the high blood pressure could have been stress after the growth scan I had showed he not grown as much last month having another one in 2 weeks so will see what we are doing then.

My rib on the right side was agony last night I had tears in my eys had it about 4 weeks now didnt realise it was connected to high blood pressure etc will look in to that so thank you.

Mixed berrie Im sure i will be sitting on the floor later tonight giving that a go! Tshesytemset at least it goes after birth then! xx

CardyMow Sun 09-Oct-11 20:17:56

Erm - I would talk to your MW on the phone tomorrow, tbh. Rib pain in combination with protein in the urine, high blood pressure and slow growth CAN be an indicator of pre-eclampsia - I had this with DD, was on bed rest in hospital from 28 weeks, and I was induced at 34+5. DD was in SCBU for 4 days, but for Jaundice - she only needed oxygen for the first 24 hrs, she came home after 4 days, and is now a hulking great 13yo!

I really would advise talking to your MW about the rib pain - or even your consultant (which you should have given the slow growth).

mousyfledermaus Sun 09-Oct-11 20:20:17

yes def check with midwife. the liver is on the right side just under the ribs. could be just the position of the baby but better have it checked.

thejaffacakesareonme Sun 09-Oct-11 21:23:18

Please phone the midwife tomorrow first thing. PE can progress very quickly. Rib pain is a symptom, although it could also be caused by the baby's position. It could well be nothing serious, but'd be better to speak to someone who can give good advice.

pregnantmimi Mon 10-Oct-11 01:16:53

Thanks was going to wait till tuesday when see midwife but will call her tomorrow morning to make surexx

bruffin Mon 10-Oct-11 01:25:12

Talk to her tomorrow. I was in hospital from 32 weeks for high blood pressure and was asked every day if I had pain under my ribs.

pregnantmimi Tue 11-Oct-11 08:21:15

my blood pressures fine thankfully Im just having a growth scan on wednesday and still got the pain I dont know whats going to help with it been hurting alot at night pressure seems to help but dont want to press down too hard. Keeping a eye on blood pressure thou.xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now