Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is Blistex cold sore cream safe to use in the 1st trimester of pregnancy?

(4 Posts)
Alisonjayjay Sat 08-Oct-11 23:56:50

I am seven weeks pregnant on Monday and my bottom lip has broken out with cold sores. My DP had some Blistex cold sore cream but he had lost the leaflet containing the drug information. I applied some last night as my lips were really sore as I thought it would be fine after trying to find some info online. The cold sores were worse this morning so I decided to go to the pharmacy to ask for a cream that is safe to use in pregnancy and the pharmacist told me I shouldn't use anything until after 12 weeks and have to hope that they go away on their own. Being a student nurse I noticed that the pharmacist looked up the drug in the cold sore cream in a drugs book which I have at home. When I went home I looked up the active ingredient of the cream and realised that the pharmacist had been reading information about a tablet form of the drug and not a topical cream. Has anyone else used Blistex cream in the first trimester? I really hate not being able to treat cold sores and I am worried about them getting worse. I still have another 5 weeks to go until week 12. Any advice?

I used the Blistex cream, and also Zovirax. It is fine.

BuckminsterFullerene Sun 09-Oct-11 00:02:47

Yep, only an issue if you take acyclovir (so?) in large doses orally.

Which might only happen if you had a bad case of the 'other' kind of cold sores!

I used zovirax & those patch things

BuckminsterFullerene Sun 09-Oct-11 00:04:06

(yep, I spelled sp wrong too, dur)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now