Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Water gone hours ago but no contractions yet...

(13 Posts)
mint123 Sat 08-Oct-11 19:45:39

Hi ladies, typing from my phone so sorry for any spelling mistake... My water broke at 6am and since that I have had no contractions. I am in the hospital and they want to send me home tomorrow if nothing changes. Anyone else who's water broke and had no contraction for hours maybe days? I am 36 weeks pregnant exactly with twins.

StrangledPhantomoansatem Sat 08-Oct-11 19:48:33

Mine didn't start until about 24 hours after my waters broke although I did have very mild pains. My hospital wanted to induce me if they didn't start within 24 hours.

Jaquelinehyde Sat 08-Oct-11 19:52:28

My waters went weeks before I went into labour.

I was about 32 weeks when they went at a contact trickle rather than a gush, the hospital wanted me to get to 35+ weeks before they would induce me. So I had to have a scan and a blood test every other day an injection to mature ds's lungs and was booked in for induction at 36 odd weeks.

I went into labour naturally at 34+6 weeks, everything was fine.

Good luck you will have your twins very soon I would expect considering you are alread 36 weeks gone grin

fiveisanawfullybignumber Sat 08-Oct-11 19:52:57

Make sure they keep an eye out for any signs of Strep B infection. More common if waters go early. Good luck.

CroissantNeuf Sat 08-Oct-11 19:55:52

With DD my waters broke and the hospital had me going backwards and forwards for about 36 hours before eventually inducing me.

With DS the contractions started about 10-12 hours after my waters broke.

I think how long they are happy to leave you before inducing varies between hospitals.

mint123 Sat 08-Oct-11 20:00:35

Thanks everyone smile they already put me on antibiotic to prevent any infection. Hopefully things will get started quick and babies lungs and all will be fine.

WorzselMummage Sat 08-Oct-11 20:01:40

My waters had gone for 2 weeks before I had contraction with DD and 5 weeks with DS.. Thankfully at 36 weeks you wont have to wait that long wink

I think we can leave you 48hrs before inducing you. FiNgErS CrOssEd for imminemt contractions !

ConcreteElephant Sat 08-Oct-11 22:44:56

Hi Mint,

my waters went (trickle, not gush) at 36+1, I went to hospital the next morning and they kept me in (with monitoring and antibiotics every 6 hours) till 36+6 when there was finally a slot on the delivery suite and they could induce me! They didn't send me home simply because they wanted to monitor baby and also hoped to induce me but emergencies kept bumping me down the priority list. The wait felt like a lifetime but it gave DD a bit more time to cook!

DD was born quickly (about 4 hours from start to finish), she was a healthy 6lb 4 (obviously she was a singleton!), with 9 then 10 on the Apgar wotsit and we went home the next day. She was a bit sleepy for being that tiny bit early and developed a tinge of jaundice (which didn't require medical intervention - the HV just kept an eye on her for a few days) but she luckily had no lung problems or other concerns.

Best of luck for the coming days, I hope it all goes well and I hope I've given you some reassurance as it sounds like your situation is quite similar to mine.

You can look forward to meeting your twins soon! Were you expecting to carry to term or might they have delivered them earlier anyway?

cece Sat 08-Oct-11 22:48:24

I had this. Went 9am on Tues morning. First contraction 5pm on Weds so quite a while to wait! I am surprised they don't have you n ABs as risk of infection increases the longer waters have gone.

mousymouse Sat 08-Oct-11 22:55:41

with dc1 waters went in the middle of the night but nothing happened. was induced 36 hours later.
with dc2 again waters webt in the middle of the night but this time contractions started a few hours after.
good luck!

mint123 Mon 10-Oct-11 18:02:01

Hi all, had my babies yesterday smile contractions started soon after my post. Thanx again for all of ur response.

mousyfledermaus Mon 10-Oct-11 18:05:12

congrats!

pestopasta Mon 10-Oct-11 18:19:48

congrats mint!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now