Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Asthma attack?

(7 Posts)
luckywinner Sat 08-Oct-11 16:36:08

Can anyone help? I am 22 weeks pregnant, asthmatic and my chest has been getting tighter throughout the day. I have been using my reliever but it only lasts about half an hour. Not really sure what to do. Don't want to make a fuss but am not comfortable at all feeling like this. I haven't been wheezy like this for ages and ages. Any advice?

luckywinner Sat 08-Oct-11 16:42:37

Am going to put this in health too I think.

melliebobs Sat 08-Oct-11 17:02:10

I have asthma too. I was told if I'm having to use my reliever more than once an hr to take my preventer 2 puffs 2-3 times a day. If after a day or so it ain't shifted chances are I've picked up an infection to steroids and anti biotics are needed.

Also if you don't use your inhalor that often just check it hasn't gone beyond the expiry date

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain Sat 08-Oct-11 17:07:43

If you are only getting half an hours relief then you need to be seen. Keep using the inhaler, but ring the GP OOH to get seen today. If you get much worse it will be A and E instead.

cravingcake Sat 08-Oct-11 17:15:08

It could be that baby is growing & therefore your lungs are starting to be squished, making you feel breathless & therefore creating a similar feeling to asthma. If in doubt go to a&e, being pregnant you shouldnt be left waiting too long. I had this, about 27 weeks tho & for me it wasnt asthma but still just as scary. You can try sitting up in a chair & leaning forward, which helps encourage baby out & away from your organs which helps rather than being slouched on a sofa iykwim.

luckywinner Sat 08-Oct-11 17:22:19

Thanks all. I think it is definitely true the baby is squishing me a bit which is making it worse. My tightness is in my back though and thats more asthmatic iyswim. Think I will give the gp a call even to make myself feel less panicked.

Beesok Sat 08-Oct-11 18:12:45

I had the same - the preventer really helps, get an apt with your GP and get checked regardless but I was told at my surgery asthma clinic that unfortunately for 1/3 of pregnant women asthma does get a bit worse and obviously the pressure on your lungs from baby is not helping..
If you need to use your reliever often that means you should get back on your preventer - as a rule of thumb the nurse told me to take 2 puffs of preventer twice a day until you feel better then you can lower the does to 1 puff twice a day for the same period it took you to feel better - so if you felt better after 3 days keep taking it for another 3.
But again - call your GP just in case and check your breath on a peak flow meter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now