Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slow growth and slow heartbeat, anyone had a positive outcome??

(10 Posts)
Staverton Sat 08-Oct-11 14:17:46

Not sure whether to put this in miscarriage or here.
I am meant to be 7 and half weeks by dates. I had a miscarriage 2 months before conceiving this one.
I was anxious and had a very small amount of spotting so had an early scan a week ago last Friday. It showed I was 5 weeks when I thought I was 6 weeks and 3 days. I've had a lot of old blood and mild cramps this week so was expecting the worst but a scan on Friday showed a 6 week size sac with a fetal pole with a heartbeat that was difficult to spot but was under 100 beats per minute. So I've to go back next Friday. (oh the waiting...). the sonographer( a midwife) said it was it was a sign of a failing pregnancy but the registrar said it was 50/50.
I'm pretty sure of my dates and would have got a positive pregnancy text 3 days post conception if their dates are right
Has anyone had similar and had a positive outcome? From searching the web/mn archives it seems most end in miscarriage. What I'm really worried about is that a slow heartbeat, if the embryo survives the first trimester can double the risk of structural and chromosomal abnormalities..

Staverton Sat 08-Oct-11 16:45:10

Anyone?

lisad123 Sat 08-Oct-11 16:47:03

no idea here, but didnt want to read and run.
< offers brew and litening ear

icooksocks Sat 08-Oct-11 16:49:11

Well is it possible the positive pregnancy test occured because you still had hormones from the previous mc?
The baby has grown the expected amount between the 2 scans so thats good. As for the heartbeat I have no knowledge so cant help you there.
I hope all goes well.

Staverton Sat 08-Oct-11 17:05:25

Thanks for replies

Lisa you are so sweet! Its such a worrying time!

I had a negative preg test after last m/c and the dates don't work out at all though so it's def growing slower than expected. (although this last week has been ok iyswim)
Thanks!

LadyMaybe Sun 09-Oct-11 12:14:32

Hi I can't do a link as am on my phone at the moment but have google of baby2see ultrasound, it states that the normal heartrate at the end of week 5, I.e beginning week 6 is 60-90 bpm, and that the heartrate itself at this stage is less important than the fact that one is present or not. There are no guarantees, but you've had a week's growth in a week and a hb has been established. That's not bad news. Pg after mc is awful - I'm currently 10 weeks after 3 mcs - do feel free to come and hang out in the freakout room (in conception) if you want support and handholding. Good luck!

Staverton Sun 09-Oct-11 14:08:13

Hi thanks for your reply

I think it is the combination of slow heartbeat and the fact the growth is 10 days behind that is freaking me out...

Staverton Sun 09-Oct-11 14:08:44

Ps good luck with your pregnancy, how far along are you now?

phlossie Sun 09-Oct-11 14:18:05

I wouldn't worry too much about dates simply because they seem to vary massively. I was pretty sure of my dates, but got put forward a whole week at a dating scan which meant I would have conceived only 7 days after my period, which would have been impossible! Take heart from the fact that you have a heartbeat and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck - I really hope it's a sticky one!

KatAndKit Sun 09-Oct-11 14:23:11

I wish i could offer you reassurance and it is certainly not impossible that it will work out ok.
However, in my experience of a similar situation it was not a good outcome, although the heartbeat was only in the 60s that time and the growth was further behind.
If you are sure of your dates then I think your doctor is being realistic by giving you 50/50 odds at best. A heartbeat under 100bpm is below average even for 6 weeks. Under 90 and you can be almost certain that the pregnancy is not viable.
If there is a chance that your dates could be a week or more out then there is reason to be optimistic.
I wouldn't worry too much about the abnormality side of things. At this stage I think if the embryo is abnormal it isn't going to make it.

I'm very sorry you are going through this. I have had to do the long wait myself and it is just the most awful thing if you know you are just waiting for that little heartbeat to stop. I really really hope you have a good outcome after all but I would advise thinking about your options for miscarriage management in advance of your next scan so you are prepared for both possibilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now