Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dreamgenii - anyone got one?

(29 Posts)
Mum2be79 Sat 08-Oct-11 13:59:18

I'm picking mine up tonight from the in-laws. Bought it from an ebay shop (£39.95 including postage).

Are they as good as they say they are?

WitchesBroomForMyChin Sat 08-Oct-11 14:01:14

I had one when I was pregnant. I loved it, really helped me sleep.

SurprisEs Sat 08-Oct-11 14:02:07

I haven't got one but I will buy one very soon. I've only heard good things about it and last pregnancy DH ended up with no pillow for months as I need two for my head, one between my knees, one between my feet, one under the bump. One pillow does all would've been better!

Jennyrosity Sat 08-Oct-11 14:10:07

I can't bear mine. Have had a really bad back for months, so got one because I'd heard such good things about it, but it just makes me more uncomfortable - I don't like being forced to sleep in one position, so while I get to sleep with it ok, within a few hours it gets thrown on the floor.

I think I'm in the minority though - most people seem to love them.

Bess12 Sat 08-Oct-11 14:29:20

I'm not a fan either to be honest. Makes me more uncomfortable too!

Secondtimelucky Sat 08-Oct-11 14:31:11

I'm tall, and I'm afraid it was useless for me. Everything sort of lined up in the wrong place. Tried it a few times and always ended up throwing it out of bed. Stuck to normal pillows after that.

SurprisEs Sat 08-Oct-11 14:33:13

First time I read bad feedback on these... Putting me off a bit, DH might have to go without pillows again.

Secondtimelucky Sat 08-Oct-11 14:42:48

They normally have pretty mixed feedback on these threads TBH - I think they're a bit 'Marmite'.

SurprisEs Sat 08-Oct-11 14:47:01

I like the idea of doubling up us a bf pillow, another thing I regret not buying last time, regular pillows just didn't do the job.

Secondtimelucky Sat 08-Oct-11 14:52:56

I didn't like it for that either TBH. It wasn't high or firm enough to be of any assistance. I got a wedgie pillow for breastfeeding (this time round, I've only used it as a back support to lean back on blush), which they can also sit in when they are close to sitting but a big wobbly.

Secondtimelucky Sat 08-Oct-11 14:53:14

Bit, not big. Ooops

DaydreamDolly Sat 08-Oct-11 15:02:59

I love mine. First night I had the leg bit on my left and I didn't get on with it. After that I had the leg bit on my right and it's sooooo comfortable I sleep like a log

sleepevader Sat 08-Oct-11 15:12:31

I hate mine. Going to sell it in eBay as used a handful of times and has a brand new spare cover too.

I think it's because I'm larger than average person so the bit between side is too narrow.

feelingratheroverwhelmed Sat 08-Oct-11 15:28:53

I nearly bought one of these, but in the end plumped for a full body pillow from Mothercare. I was put off the DG because the reviews implied that you had to sleep on your left in one position with one, which I knew I'd never manage every night.

MrsHuxtable Sat 08-Oct-11 16:40:41

I love mine! You can use it in all sorts of weird positions to make you more comfortable.

littlemisstax Sat 08-Oct-11 16:45:02

I loved mine whilst pregnant - I couldn't sleep without it. It is currently on my lap with 11 month old DD snoring on as I'm still using it as a feeding pillow!

localcrackpot Sat 08-Oct-11 17:08:47

Didn't like mine very much until my tum got really big in the third trimester, now I use it every night.

localcrackpot Sat 08-Oct-11 17:09:28

Oh, and you can lie on your right with one as easily as your left.

hubbahubster Sat 08-Oct-11 17:09:32

Another vote for loving it here. You don't have to sleep on your left at all, it actually allows you to toss and turn without readjusting the pillow, which is brilliant. I preferred to sleep on my right, and slept with the long side down my back and up between my knees. Made sleeping loads more comfortable and invaluable as I became bigger and bigger. Great feeding pillow once DS was born too, especially since I had a CS. ATM it's under his jumperoo to give his little legs a boost!

myncichips Sat 08-Oct-11 17:31:42

I absolutely love mine! I have had terrible cramp and restless legs during my pregnancy and this has been a life saver. It has also helped me stay sleeping on my left but it is equally comfortable on the right if you want to turn over.

Oeisha Sat 08-Oct-11 18:01:57

I love mine! Made up for the expense very quickly (within 2 nights I was more rested and by 3rd night I was willing to attribute it to the DG was @ about 12wks then). I'm 5ft3, so maybe it's because I'm dwarflike shorter than average.
It is helping me sleep on the left. I think the idea of left-sleeping is your arteries etc. run down the right side, so taking the pressure of bump/gubbins of them helps with bloodflow to legs etc. making you less likely to faint when you get up and ensuring there's sufficient bloodflow throughout the night.
I'm naturally a right-sleeper so often turn it over and sleep on the right with it.
I have pre-existing muscle issues in my back and had started to get hip pains. The DG helps me wedge a hot water bottle/ice pack on my lumbar (it keeps it nice and upright across the whole back). It's also helped a lot, just by itself. I'm also a thrasher in bed, and lying ON the scoped out bit has stopped me kicking it out the way when I really didn't want to.
I'm not exactly skinny, but haven't found the width an issue - one of my furbabies often tries to wedge himself between the pillow and LO (and he get's booted for the privilage, but still loves it). 25wks now, so we'll have to see how long that lasts.
I do, if very restless, get fed up with it and kick it out of bed. BUT usually nothing's gonna help me sleep at that point (bar a DH-ectomy or sleeping in a freezer, so, well...).
Plus, there's the BF bit too!
I hope you have luck with yours OP!

Mum2be79 Sat 08-Oct-11 18:48:20

I must admit, I was apprehensive about the 'sleeping in one position' mullarky! But glad to hear that some people find it's okay whilst sleeping on your right.

I'm naturally a back sleeper with arms raised above my head but I am now finding that I'm waking up in this position with pins and needles in my limbs and a sore back so I suppose I NEED to sleep on my side. Also, I find it more comfortable on my side. The only thing is, I often think I'm squashing the baby as I tend to lie in the recovery position when on my side.

Am I right thinking the taller you are, the more difficult it is? I'm 5ft 3ins so I'm hoping it will fit ergonomically correct for me. Certianly the 'awards' in magazines and the fact t is classed as a 'medical device' in the adverts has swayed me 9as well as doubling as a nursing pillow).

I suppose it's like everything - what works for one, will not work for another. I've got to buy one to try one unfortunately.

Folicacid Sat 08-Oct-11 18:59:26

I bought a DG and for the first few weeks couldn't get the hang of it but now I love it. I think perhaps i bought it too early in my pregnancy.

It naturally encourages you to sleep on the left for the reasons another poster has given you- also i think left hand side sleeping is good for getting baby into position.

You can flip over and sleep on right hand side too though. I love mine and really think it helps me get a better sleep. Bump is cushioned, legs comfy etc.

Would recommend.

kiki22 Sat 08-Oct-11 19:56:56

I got a oethopeadic v shaped support pillow for £10 from argos for between the knees and under the bump physio recomended it instead of an actual maternity pillow. it's great and not so big it gets in the way

steph01 Sat 08-Oct-11 20:04:23

i bought one, used it on the first night the way it had said and found it uncomfortable, but now i use it as a pillow and something to hold on to, so much better. i sleep alot better with it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now