Talk

Advanced search

What benefits/grants do you still get when pregnant?

(6 Posts)
Scaredconfusedexcited Sat 08-Oct-11 13:22:18

Do you still get £500 sure start or £170 healthy eating etc

Savoir Sat 08-Oct-11 14:01:05

£500 sure start still exists, if you're on benefits. Healthy eating grant went down to £100 and has, I think, since been abolished altogether - but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

cobysstepmummy Sat 08-Oct-11 14:55:00

The £500 sure start is only available if this is your first child!
The £190 healthy start was stopped in Jan which sucks!!

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Sat 08-Oct-11 15:00:28

If you're on benefits then you are entitled to Healthy Start tokens - i.e. milk tokens, but they can be used for fresh fruit and veg as well as milk. You can claim them from being 12 weeks.

If it's your first child then you can also claim the £500 maternity grant from 29 weeks.

You're also entitled to free dental care during pregnancy and for a year after the baby is born.

HPSource Sat 08-Oct-11 15:04:56

I don't think Sure Start is available to everyone
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018854

scaevola Sat 08-Oct-11 15:10:22

It's reverted to the old Maternity Grant system (pre-2005?) with targeted assistance.

Those who had their babies in the later New Labour years were the beneficiaries of a brief bout of largesse from the tax payer. I'm not surprised in the current financial climate that this has ended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now