Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I think "congratulations" would have been more appropriate than

(15 Posts)
hairylights Sat 08-Oct-11 11:02:28

"you've been eating all the pies. When is that due?"

confused

Yama Sat 08-Oct-11 11:05:48

Yes, I don't miss rude fuckers commenting on my size. "You're HUGE!" is always crap.

ZombiesAtYourCervix Sat 08-Oct-11 11:07:37

hope you puched them hard.

ZombiesAtYourCervix Sat 08-Oct-11 11:10:20

in fact do I know you and has this to do with a beautiful facebook profiel pic?

hairylights Sat 08-Oct-11 11:11:37

I don't think so "zombies" it was an "in person" comment.

hairylights Sat 08-Oct-11 11:12:49

Ps have I ever told you I think "at your cervix" is a genius user name and it makes me smile every time I see it?

suzikettles Sat 08-Oct-11 11:13:06

I've got a good friend who always goes on about pregnant women being huge - she sees it as a compliment. I've tried to tell her that lots of people won't like it, but she'd love to be pregnant and doesn't see how looking visibly pg could ever be seen as a negative thing.

hairylights Sat 08-Oct-11 11:15:12

This wasn't so much about my size (I'm 25 weeks and have a fairly neat bump) but was the first time I've seen this person (a work associate) while being pregnant. Rude as f* I thought.

hairylights Sat 08-Oct-11 11:16:09

Was I quick thinking and witty I could have said "and you've been hit with the ugly stick and are an ignorant arrogant arse".

MrsRV Sat 08-Oct-11 11:22:06

My dad told his mum, my gran, that i was expecting and she said "oh nooooo". Bearing in mind I'm nearly 29, settled and have been married for a couple of years and had been trying for a baby I couldn't really see what was so 'oh no' about it. Old bag grin some people say the most awful things!!!!

suzikettles Sat 08-Oct-11 11:23:36

Yeah, it was crass and stupid.

My friend isn't referring to a big bump though when she does her cringy "massive" and "huge" comments though. I could fasten up my coat no problem at 9 months pregnant - by no means a large bump and she would endlessly go on about how I looked as if I was "about to burst".

She genuinely thinks that pregnancy is amazing and people would want to show it off and be proud of huge bellies, bigger the better.

HPSource Sat 08-Oct-11 11:40:10

I was surprised at the number of people who thought the appropriate response was "was it planned" rather than the generally accepted "congratulations".

natwebb79 Sat 08-Oct-11 12:04:56

My favourite response to our pregnancy announcement was 'oh, aren't you getting married first??'. Because obviously planning and having a child together isn't a big enough commitment to each other! angry

ToriaPumpkinLantern Sat 08-Oct-11 12:19:59

I had that a few times HP this is despite the fact we're mid twenties, have been married for five years and I'd made it fairly clear when we moved and bought a new house that we wanted children. I felt like responding with "Yes it was, now let's talk about your sex life!" with a big grin on my face.

SurprisEs Sat 08-Oct-11 12:23:55

My MIL mentioned all through last pregnancy how she hates to see pregnant women with a tight top. She says pregnant women are fat and it looks horrible. I have felt like telling her to stop projecting her insecurities on other people, but haven't got round to it.

What's so difficult about saying congratulations? Why do people have to find something funny or plain rude to say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now