Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

your tips for getting through the sickness

(18 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 08-Oct-11 09:49:48

hi, it's started already, I'm not even 6wks! Last time I got through 4 months of nausea and vomiting with hula hoops and apples and the occasional scone. But I really don't fancy anything now. Give me some inspiration!

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Sat 08-Oct-11 09:54:15

Sparkling flavoured water was a god send for me, as was any kind of boiled sweet I could suck. I put on so little weight in the first trimester, and my sickness wasn;t even that bad, it was more that there was just nothing I fancied eating. Am making up for that now with a vile addiction to pot noodles and croissants wink

fannybaws Sat 08-Oct-11 09:57:04

Boiled sweet here too, try not to let your blood sugar get to low at any time.

Bartimaeus Sat 08-Oct-11 10:03:45

I ate hundreds of cookies.
Had to try several types of biscuits before finding the type that didn't make me throw up.

Very early on I craved junk food (Mcds etc).

Couldn't drink anything except plain water though.

Good luck!

tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 08-Oct-11 10:05:18

croissants! I could force a bit of croissant down, might have to get DH off to the shops! I craved Pot Noodles in my last pregnancy, but it felt too dirty, I don't think I'd care this time.

Flisspaps Sat 08-Oct-11 10:08:03

This time - Lemonade. Lemon squash. Cake - preferably Belgian buns. Banana. I usually eat like buggery but am now 13 weeks and weigh 1lb less than I did when I got pregnant as I've been so off my food.

Last time round the MW told me to keep a stash of Mars bars handy as MS is due to low blood sugar - who was I to argue with (practically) prescribed chocolate?

LynetteScavo Sat 08-Oct-11 10:08:25

Keep your blood level constant. Lots of regular snacks but no sugar rushes.

Super noodles. blush

Keep hydrated.

Vit B6.

excitedLJ Sat 08-Oct-11 10:08:44

only thing that helped me in the end was working from home. If I got up early, had brekkie then went to work the day was a write off. If I stayed in bed for that extra hour and worked from the couch, only eating when I was ready, I was a lot better. Staying still was about my only cure!

LynetteScavo Sat 08-Oct-11 10:09:24

Rest, rest, and more rest.

BellaCB Sat 08-Oct-11 10:30:14

I found Weetabix pretty useful (and not too bad if you threw it back up again!)

ALotToTakeIn Sat 08-Oct-11 10:38:18

cheese on toast- ate it around 6 times a day from 6-18 weeks just the right combo of fat and carbs to keep my tummy quiet for an hour.

BartletForAmerica Sat 08-Oct-11 10:39:24

Things that are working at the moment for me:

Fizzy cola bottles (just a couple at a time)
Paprika Pringles
Flat ginger beer

Jamina Sat 08-Oct-11 12:49:42

I've had various stages. Rice krispie cereal bars cuz at first I could stomach milk. Then diet pepsi and frisps. Now the thing that seems to be working is monster munch and fizzy fruit water. Oh and time, I'm 14 weeks and like you had sickness from about week 5, it easing a little now but still not gone :-(

heymammy Sat 08-Oct-11 18:56:46

I too am 14 weeks and just coming through the other side of this. TBH it was horrendous and nothing really 'worked'.

I sipped flat coke throughout the day, but not too much as liquidy stuff made me sick. Make sure to try and have a snack every 1.5/2hrs - do not let you stomach get empty...it's much worse!

Try taking Vitamin B6 tabs, I was having 2 x 10mg a day. Stodgy food suited me better than anything else but sooking a sweet was good for a wee sugar hit. Whatever you think you can keep down, just have it - even if it means going to the shop for it.

I tried 4 sessions of acupuncture but that didn't really work either. Finally, at 11 weeks I went to the docs and got my 'magic pills' (prochlorperazine) which worked a bloody miracle grin. I haven't had to take any for a week now and I feel pretty much back to normal.

I truly sympathise, hope you're feeling better soon smile

saltyair Sat 08-Oct-11 19:36:32

Ice pops are quite good. As is fruit. All other food is pretty much evil.

NinkyNonker Sat 08-Oct-11 19:56:03

Yes yes to ice lollies. I never felt this bad with DD, though I haven't actually vomited I feel really car sick most of the day, a bit like the worst hangover going (sick, headachey, hot and cold). I also find cereal bars good, I feel like they may fill be up a little. I can't face heavily flavoured things like my favourite crisps (I thought the salt might be good) or anything too fatty, as the fat makes me feel more sick.

All in all very dull.

GreenandBlacksAddict Sun 09-Oct-11 14:58:37

I can suggest rich tea biscuits ( I am thoroughly fed up of eating these now ) yogurt ,pears and grapes oh and cheese toasties are the only food that stays down - with DS this lasted well into 20 weeks and then the indigestion started ! had 2 days this week with no morning sickness so wondering if now I'm 11 - 12 weeks it might be stopping.

GreenandBlacksAddict Sun 09-Oct-11 14:59:17

And yes lying down seems to alleviate it !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now