Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can I ask a stupid question about birthing pools pls?

(8 Posts)
theory Sat 08-Oct-11 00:04:17

I tried getting into the bath during my last labor (as recommended by doula), but I really didn't like it. I think the problem was that I couldn't get into a good position given the size of the tub-- all I could do, really, was sit or lie down, and I felt trapped. How do you position yourself in a birthing pool? Can you hand over the edge, get on your knees? Which positions brought relief?

theory Sat 08-Oct-11 00:04:51

That would be 'hang' over the edge...

Sam100 Sat 08-Oct-11 00:10:47

I found just sitting with legs stretched out was comfortable. I was leaning against the side and kind of rocking from side to side with my bum not quite on the floor. So there was no weight from my hips and it was all supported by the water.

I have had 2 water births - that describes the most recent one!

Just go with what feels right for you at the time. There is no "correct" way just whatever feels ok!

Good luck.

Bunsouttheoven Sat 08-Oct-11 00:16:33

I did kind of hang over the side so I was upright & could suck on the g & a. There's no way I could have managed that position out of the pool as I would have got too tired. In the pool was fine though as the water supported much of my weight.

Bunsouttheoven Sat 08-Oct-11 00:18:14

Also there is much more space in them than a bath so you can move about a bit & not feel restricted.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sat 08-Oct-11 02:01:08

i did all fours, floating laid out, hanging over the edge, rolling around! Had a large hired (heated) pool be can not recommend that set up highly enough. Bit more expensive but loads easier to use etc. Was fantastic (and only yesterday! smile )

theory Sat 08-Oct-11 15:43:35

Moonface! congratulations grin What better testimonial for water births could there be?

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 09-Oct-11 09:32:17

grin i didn't want to get in at first cause i couldn't believe the relief would be as good as the tens....i was so wrong! It was amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now