Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta "quite close to cervix" - what does this actually mean?

(15 Posts)
Grumpla Fri 07-Oct-11 20:24:45

Had my 20 week scan, have been told I will be brought back in for another at 32 weeks as my placenta is "quite close to your cervix".

OBVIOUSLY I googled it and have now TERRIFIED myself worrying about Placenta Praevia (these words not actually mentioned by ultrasound technician but presumably this is what she was referring to)

I was planning another natural home birth - now obviously, if there are good reasons, I would OF COURSE go to hospital. But 32 weeks is really late on - if I'm going to have to go into hospital (and especially if I have to have a C-section) I really need to start getting my head around that concept NOW and planning for extra help with DS, newborn etc, my DH is self-employed and it would affect what work he did / didn't take on and when etc.

What are the odds of it moving out of the way? And can I have sex? Some of the google results strongly suggested not sad

I'm hoping to speak to my midwife but won't be able to see her for another fortnight due to work etc, if anyone has any info in the meantime I would be very grateful.

Mum2be79 Fri 07-Oct-11 20:56:51

I'm in the same position as you. Mine was touching my cervix at my 20 week scan but they're asking me to go for another scan at 36 weeks?!? Quite concerned that that is too late!

As for sex - still doing it! smile I've had no bleeding though and feel fine.

Grumpla Fri 07-Oct-11 21:03:58

When's your 36 week scan then Mum2be79? Hope you haven't got too long to wait.

iknowanoldlady Fri 07-Oct-11 21:04:29

I had this - had 32 week scan on Wednesday and the placenta has now shifted to where it should be. My sister had the same. No promises of course, but I think that in most cases it does move, so fingers crossed for you.

LunaticFringe Fri 07-Oct-11 21:04:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iknowanoldlady Fri 07-Oct-11 21:05:35

p.s. there was no mention at all of no sex to me, not heard that. I think it's only placenta praevia if placenta is actually across the cervix - but I am not expert and could be wrong.

Oakmaiden Fri 07-Oct-11 21:05:41

It is common for placenta's to be low lying in early/mid pregnancy, but as the womb increases in size the position often moves upwards.

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this satge - chances are it will be fine.

Grumpla Fri 07-Oct-11 21:10:00

Ooooh thank you guys. I feel a bit better hearing all that!

She showed me on the scan, was definitely not across the cervix just close. Fingers crossed it will move away then smile

ZhenXiang Fri 07-Oct-11 21:13:40

I have this too, found out at 20 week scan on Tuesday. Have to go back at 32 weeks as well, but sex is still fine and told it would likely move out of the way as the uterus stretches to accomodate growing baby. Scan at 32 weeks a precaution.

cravingcake Fri 07-Oct-11 21:49:04

Try not to worry too much, there is physically nothing you can do. I had low placenta at 20 weeks & was told by sonogrpaher, consultant & midwife that 90% of the time it moves clear. I had an extra scan at 34 weeks & mine has moved out of the way (now 36 weeks). You should be fine to have sex but if you have any bleeding at all at any time then you should phone your midwife or labour ward straight away.

I asked my mw about the sex thing after reading you should avoid it but no where could tell me why, she basically said that the penetration could 'bump' the cervix & cause the placenta to move a little bit, HOWEVER, this is normally only an issue if the placenta is covering part or all of the cervix.

Hope this helps.

Mum2be79 Sat 08-Oct-11 12:36:19

36 week scan on 9th December. Seeing the midwife on Wednesday so I'm asking for it to be brought forward. DH is rather concerned they are leaving it a little too close.

Grumpla Sat 08-Oct-11 12:40:51

I'm surprised that there is such a variation in scan times! Bringing it forward definitely seems like a reasonable request, I hope they agree for you.

Folicacid Sat 08-Oct-11 19:12:57

They want the placenta to be 2cm away from cervix- in most cases it moves.

Mine was covering cervix at 20 weeks and had bleeding x 2 and advised nott o have sex, scan at 36 weeks to see if it has moved enough. Don't worry too much as chances are it will move. I'm going on basis that it will have moved. Think positive! smile

MrsFruitcake Sat 08-Oct-11 20:43:28

I was told my placenta was low at 20 weeks and had a scan at 36 weeks, where I was told that it had moved. We felt this was wrong, but went along with it as I really didn't want a planned c-section. It was wrong - my placenta broke up when I went into labour and it was all very traumatic. I'd had a spell in hospital at 22 weeks with excessive bleeding and was put on bed-rest for the rest of the pregnancy.

Please follow your instinct - mine was right. As others say though, the chances are that it will have moved. smile

RunJHC Sat 08-Oct-11 20:54:20

OP I was in exactly same situation with my first-planned Homebirth but told placenta was low/close to cervix at 20 week scan.

Had another scan at 34 weeks when it hadn't moved enough so told to go back for another scan at 36 weeks. Thought that was end of Homebirth plans but 36 week scan gave me all clear then DS was born at home at 37.5 weeks! Placenta came put very quickly after birth-naturally about 3 mins after DS so I figure it must still have been fairly low smile.

I just planned for Homebirth anyway but with plan B of hospital in mind as well. I didn't buy birthing pool etc until I got all clear.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now