Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BFP not getting darker?

(26 Posts)
bizzylizzy79 Fri 07-Oct-11 12:05:34

Hi, this will be my 4th pregnancy if all goes according to plan. My period was due approx a wk ago and I've done 5 tests since monday. They've all come up + since then but lighter than the control line and not getting darker. Boots cheap and tesco tests. Has anyone else experienced this?

Oeisha Fri 07-Oct-11 12:23:57

You're pregnant! Congrats! grin
The control line is only an indication that the test had worked, not an indicator of how 'strong' the other lines should be. The feintness of the test line vaires so much from woman to woman, day to day (mainly due to fluid intake) that as long as it says positive, it's positive. If at all unsure, read the leaflet enclosed, but most say even a feint positive is a positive, so grin
Congrats again!

MustControlFistOfDeath Fri 07-Oct-11 12:34:48

Mine were the same, really faint line compared to the control line.

Congratulations smile

bizzylizzy79 Fri 07-Oct-11 12:55:39

Thank you! Don't know why I'm feeling so paranoid this time around. Just heard so many stories about the lines getting darker as hcg increases. Thanks for the reassurance smile

nickelbabe Fri 07-Oct-11 12:58:23

I think it's that it has to be the same thickness, not darkness. smile

well done! good shagging. grin

themightyskim Fri 07-Oct-11 13:29:47

mine was never as dark as the control line either but im still nice and pregnant smile congratulations

Iggly Fri 07-Oct-11 13:30:51

Stop weeing money down the loo grin

Congratulations!

LIG1979 Fri 07-Oct-11 13:35:53

Hello.....sorry to give a negative view and I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I had a chemical pregnancy at the end of August which involved lines using 1st morning urine. I had lines for 4 days (9-13 dpo) that never got past the faint positive or "1-2 weeks" on the cb digital one. After about 4 days it was so faint only I could see it and I got my AF the next day. (If you aren't using 1st morning urine then it may be the dilution of the urine that is causing it to be faint.)

When I was pregnant before - I spent alot of the first few weeks POASing and definitely saw an increase in the strength of the line over time so it was very dark by around 6 weeks pregnant.

Good luck!!

nickelbabe Fri 07-Oct-11 13:56:47

good point.
maybe leave it another week lizzy?
see if it darkens then?

justhayley Fri 07-Oct-11 14:12:14

Your having a baby smile congrats. My tests were the same I got a cheap sainsburys own brander and the + was really faint - after 4 tests with super faint results I thought id buy clear blue digital- sure enough it said nice and clearly I'm pregnant. Id say 100% it pregnant but u can always check with ur GP just to make sure smile

bizzylizzy79 Fri 07-Oct-11 18:43:19

Thanks all! Waiting game I guess! Nerve racking time as my youngest is just 8 months....

PickleSarnie Fri 07-Oct-11 20:18:58

I'm being paranoid too and stupidly peed on another stick which ended up being lighter than before. Cue even more paranoia.

So I did a bit of an experiment. I spend a couple of quid on some internet cheapies. Then I stuck five of them into the same pot of wee. Technically they should all be the same darkness but pretty much every one was different. I'm hoping that means you can't tell much by the darkness of the line.

HannahHack Fri 07-Oct-11 20:24:03

HGC is highest around 4 w pregnant. It is completley normal for it to actually get lighter/lower after this. I heard this from a preg test rep last week! Though the test should just be used to show the presence of HGC not the concentration.

However, if you are worried just make an appointment with your GP. They do emergency apps if you worry down the phone at the receptionist saying I think I am pregnant!. Sound worried. It helps!

Good luck! and congrats.

Oeisha Sat 08-Oct-11 09:19:27

Interesting. How's about this. Every time you're tempted to POAS, put the money you would have spent on the stick in a jar and buy something utterly useless (other than more sticks) and fluffy for baby, or a mahoosive bottle of wine/whatever at the end of it all???

bizzylizzy79 Sat 08-Oct-11 09:39:23

Thanks awesome idea! Cheers wink

BartletForAmerica Sat 08-Oct-11 10:45:28

A positive test is a positive test! Congratulations, bizzy! Hope all goes well for you. With DS and with my current pregnancy (7/40), my tests have all been very light.

Some tests will get darker, some won't. They are not designed to test the concentration of HCG, just the presence of it.

Unfortunately though, Hannah's pregnancy test rep is talking nonsense about HCG being highest at 4 weeks. It is highest at 13-16 weeks, but it is amazing to see the really wide variation of the HCG level in normal pregnancies.

www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html

iomegawoman Sat 08-Oct-11 16:36:49

Congratulations Bizzy Lizzy, i was delighted to see this post as i have been testing the last few mornings with tesco tests and the line is coming up but is so faint that i was doubting that it was there at all. My DH made me buy a first response to use tomorrow morning to set my mind at ease because he said a line is a line - I should enjoy it. Heres hoping we both get our definite positives!

bizzylizzy79 Sat 08-Oct-11 19:55:10

Fingers crossed for you iomegawoman! I'm still crossing mine! Please let us know how you get on in the morning x

iomegawoman Sun 09-Oct-11 12:37:53

Well I did the FR test this morning and it also came up with a line albeit a very faint one again. I was pregnant earlier in the year and miscarried in April and the lines on all the tests I took that time were very strong. We are now afraid to get excited in case it isn't correct so I think I will wait another week or two and take another one then, hopefully it will all work out and we will get DC3!

lolajane2009 Sun 09-Oct-11 13:41:27

congrats, a line is a line.

mine got lighter through first tri but no issues as 5 week old boy downstairs shows.

iomegawoman Wed 19-Oct-11 15:36:48

Hi everyone, I held off testing until Saturday when I got a BFP in about 30 seconds! We are now hoping that this one will be a successful pregnancy. Good luck to everyone on this thread!

RubyLovesMayMay Wed 19-Oct-11 15:48:51

I thought the same thing and posted about it

<waves to Oeisha and themightyskim>

but these two lovelies reassured me that shades of lines doesnt count for much other than being pregnant

So congratulations smile

<takes hat off to you that this will be your 4th DC>

bizzylizzy79 Wed 19-Oct-11 17:43:39

Congrats iomegawoman! Hoping for a healthy pregnancy for you. I've been back and forth for blood tests after spotting and cramping. All subsided now though and ultrasound next week to see what's what so fingers crossed.

iomegawoman Sat 22-Oct-11 18:35:59

HI bizzylizzy, hope everything went well for you, been spotting myself since Thursday and the Doctor had no surgery Friday, the EPU won't see me until Monday - I'm a nervous wreck!

bizzylizzy79 Sun 23-Oct-11 12:47:05

Sorry to hear to that iomegawoman. Waiting is so hard. No more developments for me yet. Should know more on Tuesday but the time is really dragging. Trying to keep busy to help pass the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now