Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hair Dye

(13 Posts)
heartmoonshadow Fri 07-Oct-11 07:38:24

Hi has anyone used hair dye when pregnant if so which one is considered safest - I have seen one online from a company called ecohamster and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of it?

Thanks

HMS

JambalayaCodfishDIE Fri 07-Oct-11 08:26:55

Theres no reason to change from your usual dye - just make sure the room is well ventilated as the strong smell is likely to make you nauseous.

The only thing i've done is to change from my vibrant red to my natural brown - this is just so it wont need doing so much and roots wont be obvious if i dont feel up to doing it.

themightyskim Fri 07-Oct-11 08:48:04

and make sure you allergy test before, your more likely to have a reaction now as your pregnant smile

TimothyClaypoleLover Fri 07-Oct-11 10:46:38

My friend was told by her GP not to dye her hair whilst pregnant. She uses the more permanent dye. Don't know anything about it myself but would seek advice just in case.

pregnantmimi Fri 07-Oct-11 10:54:02

all you find is that the colour washes out quicker people been colouring hair for years while pregnant no evidence to suggest it causes any problems but if you want to be on the safe side use natural dye or hughtlights supposed to be better cause dont touch the scalp or just leave it you will get bigger roots cause your hair will prob grow fasterxx

Ains16 Fri 07-Oct-11 12:13:14

I have always dyed my hair while pregnant and am pregnant with no. 3 at the moment, my midwife had said that yes as long as room was well ventalated as has been said. She also said that you quite often feel rubbish enough through pregnancy without feeling like you have to give up on your hair colour too. Its nice to feel nice about yourself.

melliebobs Fri 07-Oct-11 12:58:54

There is no reason to change your normal dye. I had my hair cut n coloured last week. Were talking bleach toners the works. My hairdresser says there is nowt to worry about and is as good as a myth. They even jokes that you don't see pregnant celebs with massive roots!!!

TimothyClaypoleLover Fri 07-Oct-11 13:19:42

This is very interesting as my friend is very vain and hated the fact she had massive roots on show during her pregnancy. Unbelievable that her GP could have been so misinformed or going on myths. Does anyone know if maybe it is just one or two types of dye that are more hazardous in pregnancy or whether it really is a complete myth about all types of hair dye? I think she was told that she could partially dye her hair but not a whole head permanent dye.

themightyskim Fri 07-Oct-11 13:27:29

I think they tell you to avoid blondes because of all the peroxide but thats only what ive read online when I was working out if I could use Jolen on my lovely new pregnancy moustache (I should blush I know but its not that bad) and I know the allergy bit because I rang the help line on my hair dye packet and asked to be honest - I think a lot of it is due to people being over cautious

Pinkiemum Fri 07-Oct-11 13:38:12

Hairdressers in Denmark will not dye your hair if you are pregnant, legally if you work as a hairdresser you cannot be made to dye someones hair whilst you pregnant.

This is a relatively new thing in Denmark according to my DH cousins who is a hairdresser in Denmark and who would not dye my hair which is now very grey. Apparently there is new evidence that there are substances in hair dyes that can be dangerous to you a baby, although it is about a 1 in a thousand chance, do you really want to take that risk.

lollystix Fri 07-Oct-11 13:38:50

Always had my hair dyed by my hairdresser throughout my pregnancies - about every 3 months. I have 3 bright, healthy kids.

edwinbear Fri 07-Oct-11 13:41:34

I had my highlights done several times when expecting DS, who doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects, and have done with DC2 as well. My hairdresser knows I'm pregnant and was fine with it.

TimothyClaypoleLover Fri 07-Oct-11 14:33:34

Thanks mighty, my friend is dark and prefers to be blonde so that would explain if she is to avoid peroxide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now