Talk

Advanced search

laptops and pregnancy, is it ok?

(14 Posts)
greengoose Thu 06-Oct-11 21:01:00

Hi, I use my laptop a lot on my, well, lap. I am 4weeks preg. Is it still ok or is it to be avoided...... anyone know the facts?

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Oct-11 21:23:33

Well I did with DS and he seems fine (he's 3 now) and am doing so again (37 wks withDC2).

BellaCB Thu 06-Oct-11 21:25:20

I'm reading this at 25w with my laptop on my lap, so I really hope so wink

GlaikitFizzogOnaNeepyLantern Thu 06-Oct-11 21:27:03

Well DS is 5mo and had my laptop on my bump from v v early days every day until I popped!

he does have 12 toes tho....... grin

ceebie Fri 07-Oct-11 11:37:29

I would have thought that whilst you still have a lap it should be ok! My main concern would be running out of lap space over time, or having all the keys obscured by your ever-increasing bump!!!

MummyAbroad Fri 07-Oct-11 14:38:01

I dont know anything about safety issues, but I have to use mine loads for work (I am a translator and work from home) I bought this laptop table, and it has made a huge difference comfort wise. I am 36 weeks now and its invaluable as there is no real "lap" left to use a laptop on anymore!

FannibalLecter Fri 07-Oct-11 14:40:22

I dunno, I avoided doing it, especially as mine gets really hot underneath. Maybe was just being overcautious.

KatAndKit Fri 07-Oct-11 15:32:02

Yes it is ok. It is perfectly safe and no, you won't microwave the baby.
A lap top is ideal for pregnancy surely, a built in shelf?

Ikea laptop table is brilliant, so much better for your back than using the coffee table, less neckache too. A bargain at 16 pounds. I think it is called Dave.

KatAndKit Fri 07-Oct-11 15:32:32

but that one on Amazon looks very smart too!

jellybeans Fri 07-Oct-11 15:32:59

I used mine all the way through my pregnancy, DS is 2 and fine. I used a cushion just for piece of mind.

planetpotty Fri 07-Oct-11 15:47:23

I work with a lot (twenty plus) screens at work so researched this when I was pg as part of my risk assessment I could not find anything that said the radiation from the screens would harm an unborn baby.

spookshowangellovesit Fri 07-Oct-11 15:54:51

well i just had my 20 week scan and dd has webbed feet and a tail so lap top is a no no or maybe it was all the standing in front of microwaves grin

MummyAbroad Fri 07-Oct-11 17:50:11

forgot to mention that laptop table from Amazon (see link above) has a built in fan (gets power from your laptop via a USB), and because it has an inset that angles the laptop upwards the bottom part get lots of air around it, keeping it much cooler.

I dont work for the company honest!

greengoose Sun 09-Oct-11 19:25:22

Thanks for all the replies.... I have been trying to stop putting it directly on my tummy.... I guess Ill probably just go with using a cushion for now, and if it gets tough as I get huge Ill consider a table of some sort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now