Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BEST BABY MILK IF NOT BREAST FEEDING?

(15 Posts)
steph01 Thu 06-Oct-11 20:44:59

SMA, APTIMIL, HIPP ORGANIC OR COW AND GATE???
WHY?

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Oct-11 20:49:14

they're all much of a muchness to be honest, there isn't one that is better than any of the others.
I would choose:
one that your baby gets on with (aptamil caused ds1 to be quite sicky, sma made him constipated, cow and gate was fine!)

one that is easily available, ie, you can get it in your local shop rather than only available from supermarket or something.

think about whether you will want to use cartons at all, and if they are available in the milk you choose

or just go for the cheapest!

someonelsejustforamoment Thu 06-Oct-11 20:51:05

The ingredients are covered by law, so any infant milk will provide adequate nutrition. For a new baby you would want a standard milk, usually called first milk or Stage 1, not a 'hungrier baby' milk.

When choosing, you may want to bear in mind which milks are easier to get hold of locally, price may be an issue. Cartons are generally safer as less risk of bacteria - powder is not sterile and must be made up carefully but cartons are expensive. Then it is a case of trial and error to see which one seems to suit your baby best.

MrsFooty Thu 06-Oct-11 20:52:02

There isn't a best/worst it's what works best for baby and you. Daniel reacted badly to SMA so I changed to Aptimal as he'd had that in the hospital then he got colic etc so we changed to Aptimal comfort.

SMA/Hipp seems to be cheapest. So other than that can't say any is better than the other.

SoupDragon Thu 06-Oct-11 20:53:31

Whichever you can get hold of the easiest.

You may want to take off your caps lock smile

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Oct-11 20:56:19

I FF'ed DS from a week old. Until you try, you won't know which suits your child. Various brands made various of my friend's babies constipated.

I used Heinz-Farley Nurture which I chose at random in the hospital as it was the only brand name I had heard of. It prove difficult to get hold of, and I don't think it exists any more. I'd start with something that is available in a shop near you (consider that you might run out in middle of night and won't always be buying it as part of a big supermarket shop), comes in a few formats (big tins of powder, little ready made packs, single serving sachets) and see how your baby gets on with it.

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Oct-11 20:58:17

Hipp only looks cheaper because the boxes are smaller, but comes in handy single serving sachets - great for travelling.

NoGoodAtHousework Thu 06-Oct-11 21:04:25

I and other friends have been recommended aptamil as apparently it is the closest taste etc to breast milk. We've combination fed so that may be why It was so heavily recommended.

4madboys Thu 06-Oct-11 21:16:31

dont know about the best but i use hipp as its organic and i prefer to give my children organic when i can, it also easily available and reasonably priced, even tho you get slightly less in a box if you work out the price per 100g it is still cheaper smile

ImBrian Thu 06-Oct-11 22:07:15

Apparently aptamil and cow and gate are made by the same company nd very similar.

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Oct-11 22:08:37

yep, they're both made by danone

kiki22 Thu 06-Oct-11 22:11:08

same as everyone else anyone is fine but make sure you keep an eye out for sickness constipation or runny poo incase it doesn't suit your baby, also like any food baby could have a reaction so any rashes could be milk. I've only known one baby with any problem with milk tho so you should be fine

madmomma Thu 06-Oct-11 22:18:59

I prefer to use hipp, because I test the temp by squirting it onto my tongue, and it's the only one that doesn't make me feel sick. But cow & gate have a nifty plastic ledge in the carton that means it's really quick to make up a bottle.

lolajane2009 Fri 07-Oct-11 07:17:17

horses for courses tbh. I combination feed and only use SMA because it was the first one I saw a the hospital when I started to give him the formula.

buttonmoon78 Fri 07-Oct-11 09:41:48

No one is better than the others but some babies do better on one than another.

DDs - no sma, projectile vomiting, it was cow & gate or farley's for them

DS1 - farleys (but as someone else said, it's not available any more)

DS2 - cow & gate made him v windy, now on aptamil which suits him much better (also in conjunction with Dr Brown's bottles, the inventor of which I am nominating for beatification).

Both C&G and Aptamil have the handy scoop leveller inside the tub. Sounds ridiculous but not to be underestimated as it means you can make a bottle one handed and no body can use your only flat backed knife for buttering toast. Every day angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now