Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gender recorded on notes if parents chose not to find out?

(8 Posts)
ChuffMuffin Thu 06-Oct-11 17:49:24

Friend had a 35 week scan a few days ago, she had chosen not to find out the gender of the baby. Midwife at the scan referred to the baby by its gender hmm. Could it have just been a slip of the tongue, or do they record the gender in code in your notes if they see it?

ChuffMuffin Thu 06-Oct-11 17:50:12

Sorry by a gender not its, cos she obviously doesnt know what she's having!

PotteringAlong Thu 06-Oct-11 17:52:13

Is it not a hospital policy? At my hospital all babies are referred to as 'she' because 'it' sounds so harsh! So it might nit be the gender iyswim?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 06-Oct-11 17:52:56

No, not unless there's a reason it's significant, for example if there's a genetic condition relating to one sex. I would take the midwife's slip of the tongue as just that. Far better 'he' than 'it'

grubbalo Thu 06-Oct-11 18:23:31

In the days before I had my second baby I had to go for a couple of scans. We didn't actually tell the registrar doing the scan that we hadn't found out the gender and she spent the whole of the scan consistently talking about "she" and "her" - at the end she asked if we knew what we were having and we said no, and she didn't say anything else. Anyway, 3 days later I had a little baby boy. So no, it doesn't mean a thing - I just think a lot of midwives / registrars / consultants etc use "he" or "she" as it sounds better than "it"!

ALotToTakeIn Thu 06-Oct-11 19:14:07

However, my friends MW let slip during her birth so it must have been on her notes. She was really annoyed as it was only about 4 hrs before she would have found out for herself!

bettieblue Thu 06-Oct-11 19:26:59

At my scan they used the term baby, we didn't want to know the gender and towards the end of the scan she said 'her'. When she said that i couldn't contain myself and asked her. She said she hadn't looked as we didn't want to know (didn't believe her at the time) anyhow I had a boy. I wouldn't read anything in it at all.

LikeABlackFlameCandleBNQ Thu 06-Oct-11 20:44:21

My midwife has been saying "he" since I met her. I think it is just what she calls all babies in the womb. Although....she did say at my 28 week apt that she has an 85% success rate at gender prediction using the babies heart rate alone. Its 130/140 bpm for boys and 150/160+ for girls. She knows I dont really want to know though, so is swift when checking the heartbeat so I cant work it out.

Sonographer also said they dont look at gender unless requested as to them "it is irrelevant".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now