Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is anyone NOT having the flu jab this winter???

(85 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Thu 06-Oct-11 10:43:44

Just wondering. I had actually decided not to have the jab. I've never had it before. I know my immune system is supposed to be weakened by pregnancy but I never get more than a little cold each winter, if at all.

I also don't see myself really being at risk of catching it as I will be signed off sick for the remainder of my pregnancy and am not really in contact with any people apart from DH, who is also working from home 90% of the time. I don't use public transport and am not mixing with any crowds.

I don't know. I just feel funny about getting a jab while pregnant...

deemented Thu 06-Oct-11 10:46:07

I'm not getting it either.

I had swine flu last year, just before Christmas, and tbh death would have been a welcome relief. But this year i'm pregnant, and like you, not comfortable having a jab.

themightyskim Thu 06-Oct-11 10:54:10

me, it always makes my mum really ill so its put me right off

LaWeasel Thu 06-Oct-11 10:59:19

I have avoided them for ages, but think I will this year. DH is trying to save up his holiday for extra paternity leave so it would be a real waste if he has to use it up looking after DD if I get flu badly enough not to be able to manage by myself.

Georgimama Thu 06-Oct-11 11:00:43

I was pregnant last winter and didn't have it (to start with I didn't want it, then I couldn't get it). DH and MIL both had swine flu but I was fine.

BedHog Thu 06-Oct-11 11:36:31

I had the jab last Christmas, just before I got pregnant. Baby is due in a couple of weeks, but as the jab was less than 10 months ago and flu season won't really start for another month or two, I hadn't planned to have it this year.

DejaWho Thu 06-Oct-11 12:02:44

More than likely I'm not - I'm entitled to one anyway on the grounds of asthma before factoring in up-duffedness.

I've never had one - I don't generally get flu very heavy anyway - if at all.

I'd rather they vaccinated my husband against swine-man-flu to be honest so I don't end up wanting to throttle him like after last year's performance.

PamBeesly Thu 06-Oct-11 12:26:07

It hasn't been mentioned to me at any ante natal appointments, I don't think I'll be getting it either

PeggyCarter Thu 06-Oct-11 12:28:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovemountains Thu 06-Oct-11 12:37:40

I would strongly recommend you DO get vaccinated. I'm never ill, last year I got flu at 39 weeks (despite not being at work, not using public transport etc.) I was so ill I couldn't even pick up my new baby, had to wear a mask when breast feeding or holding her, was kept in isolation, et'.

justhayley Thu 06-Oct-11 12:44:39

I'm not having it! I Come from a family of natural medicine and work in natural health myself. I have never had any vaccination of any kind. All vaccinations do is give u the virus in a lesser dose so ur body is ok with fighting it off, it can't prevent u 100% and in the long run being vaccinated actually weakens your immune system so you are more likely to pick up flus and colds etc.
At uni the mumps were going around and I hadn't been vaccinated, I did catch it and it was horrid but I also got over it, my 2 housemates at the time had both been immunised and also both caught it, my DP will take medicine for anything and his immune system
Is terrible, he gets Ill about 4/5 times a year where as I only get a cold once every 3 years or so, he also caught thyroid in India and almost died it was that bad even after having the vaccination - I was fine and we ate all the same stuff, I ha just boosted my immune system before we left.

I honestly think the flu jab is unnecessary and I'm happy to answer questions about preventing flu the natural way.
The western world are so quick to fill our bodies with medications an vaccinations without question. Don't get me wrong if it was life and death I'd take what ever I needed - and will probably be on everything in child birth lol but I think medication should be used as a last resort and not as a prevention for something that u may not even get!

Stay strong ladies don't get bullied into feeling like you have to have the jabs, and even give your babies them - u don't!!

Here's to simple natural health smile

PamBeesly Thu 06-Oct-11 12:50:59

justhayley I'd be interested in some tips about preventing flu/fighting it the natural way. I think the pharamceutical industry really overstates the need for lots of jabs but I would also not like to take any risks when it comes to my babys health. Thanks in advance smile

Fresh01 Thu 06-Oct-11 12:57:20

Several medical professionals have said to me that a benefit of me getting the flu jab whilst pregnant is that it will give the baby an increased immunity to the flu when it is born. I also breastfeed to try and give them some of my immunity as well. This one will be no. 4 for me and having 3 older siblings, one at school and one at preschool, this baby is going to be exposed to many more winter bugs than say my first who was mainly at home with just me. I got the flu jab last week when offered at my GP's.

Tangle Thu 06-Oct-11 13:08:44

I was pregnant when SF arrived the first time. Declined the jab, caught swine flu at 36 weeks (even though we'd considered me at pretty low risk, I was basically healthy and hadn't had flu for >10 yrs). I wasn't as lucky as ilovemountains - my baby died in utero (seemingly not infected by flu at all, but if the mothers condition gets too poor a baby in the womb doesn't stand many chances sad).

I still think getting the jab is a personal decision and wouldn't judge others for choosing not to. I know a vaccine can't guarantee immunity (one of the reasons I didn't have it before). But for me I think its something I have to do this year - it may not protect the baby I'm carrying, but at least it'll be one less stick to beat myself with if things go wrong again.

figgygal Thu 06-Oct-11 13:14:49

I am booked in on Monday for it based on being due at the start of December and the fact baby gets protection for the first 4-6 months didnt ever think against it.

MixedBerries Thu 06-Oct-11 13:30:56

JustHayley, I understand that everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinions but I'm afraid that your misunderstanding of the evidence and facts surrounding the human body, immunity, vaccinations and disease has completely shocked me. I do hope other readers do their own research.

Crosshair Thu 06-Oct-11 13:40:49

Im currently undecided, will ask my mw about it at my next appointment.

stripeywoollenhat Thu 06-Oct-11 13:50:08

hmm. my gp mentioned this to me when i was in last week: i thought i wouldn't have to as i had it last december and dd2 is due in early december this year, but seemingly i'm not covered for this season. bah. but i've had a couple of fairly minor things during this pregnancy which have lasted twice as long for me as they have for dp and dd1, so i'm going to go for it: apart from anything else, i have too much to do to factor in a protracted case of flu.

tangle, i'm extremely sorry sad hope everything goes well with this pregnancy

LaWeasel Thu 06-Oct-11 13:52:19

I'm so sorry Tangle, how awful for you - wishing you all the best for this pregnancy.

I have decided I'm definately getting the vaccine, baby having immunity following birth is a definate plus point I hadn't realised.

banana87 Thu 06-Oct-11 13:54:54

I had mine today smile

Personally, it's a risk I'd rather not take. Just because one hasn't had flu in X amount of years doesn't necessarily mean this year will be different. Each to their own.

CoffeeOne Thu 06-Oct-11 13:59:07

I never had flu in my life then got it for the first time last year. It was awful and I can't begin to imagine having it whilst pregnant, let alone facing the risks to my baby. You can be as careful as possible but some things you just can't avoid.

I'm booked in to get mine on Saturday,

DejaWho Thu 06-Oct-11 14:03:33

I guess I just don't get scared of flu. I'm terrified on the other fucking hand of having to work in a school with chickenpox and all the other big pregnancy hazards around (and since I'm supply the odds are I'll never get to find out that Katie in Class 5B came down with spots).

I suppose it's a sliding scale of utter terror for me.

Woodifer Thu 06-Oct-11 14:27:39

I had mine! It didn't hurt, I didn't get any symptoms - I had it because of the extra risks associated with having swine flu in particular when pregnant.

From what I have read - if you have had swine flu previously, or had a combined jab with swine flu included, or a swine flu only jab - in previous years you should still have immunity to swine flu.

If you have the combined jab this year - it will protect you from swine flu and the other most common (predicted) strains of flu for this flu season - where the other strains are more likely to be different/mutated from previosu strains.

crossjoss Thu 06-Oct-11 15:24:19

I work in the NHS as a medical consultant. I never have the flu jab normally but I will certainly have it this year. Pregnancy is a state of immune compromisation. You are more susceptible to flu even if you never get it normally. Your oxygen requirements are higher in pregnancy and your ability to cope with low oxygen levels are lessened, in part because of the pressure of your uterus against your lungs. The people we see on ITU who are dying are young, previously fit, pregnant women. There is no medical conspiracy, I am not in favour of pointless vaccination but flu jabs save lives in at risk populations, and if you are pregnant that means you. Young babies are more likely to die from flu and you having the jab will give them some protection. For your sake, for the sake of any children you already have and for the sake of your unborn baby please, please get vaccinated

MrsHuxtable Thu 06-Oct-11 15:47:32

Tangle I'm so sorry about what happened to you. You certainly have given me something to think about...

I'm not so sure anymore. My GP surgery has set up a massive collective vaccination day in a church hall on November 1st, so I guess I still have some tome to think about what I want to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now