Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vests vs Bodysuits??

(16 Posts)
Claxonia Thu 06-Oct-11 09:31:45

Just about to place an order from John Lewis as my first baby is due in a month and am a bit confused as to whether I need the vests which are like little t-shirts:
www.johnlewis.com/27386/Product.aspx
Or the bodysuits which have poppers that go between the legs:
www.johnlewis.com/27381/Product.aspx
Or both.
All the shops seem to have the bodysuits so I'm guessing they are good but is it not a bit uncomfortable for the baby with the nappy and the bodysuit and a babygrow on top?

Sorry if it is a very stupid question and thanks in advance for any advice!

heartmoonshadow Thu 06-Oct-11 09:32:59

When they are little as long as you dont mind death by poppers the best thing to have is the bodysuit I think. I found they help to keep nappy in place and also don't ride up.

planetpotty Thu 06-Oct-11 09:36:57

Yup normally in winter you would have nappy, bodysuit with poppers, and then sleepsuit or outfit on top.

Nappys move around - its a sad fact and then they leak sad the bodysuits help the nappy to stay in place. smile

lynlynnicebutdim Thu 06-Oct-11 10:06:31

dont feel bad OP. I asked the very same question about 2 years ago.
It boggled my mind too to be wearing so many layers of poppers.

When DD was a itty bitty baby she would wear a sleeveless bodysuit underneith a sleepsuit or other outfit. If it was really cold she would wear a long sleeve bodysuit underneath it.

As she has gotten older we still wear the sleeveless bodysuit under most things and a long sleeve one if it is really cold, or if it is one of those days when the weather cant make up its mind and then it will be a long sleeve bodysuit and jeans/trousers.

Claxonia Thu 06-Oct-11 10:17:39

Thanks for advice, so it's all about securing the nappy! So since it will be November maybe I should get long-sleeved rather than shot-sleeved body-suits.

notcitrus Thu 06-Oct-11 10:18:01

I was worried about all the poppers but an experienced friend told me it's not compulsory to do them all up. Alternate ones is quite sufficient!

Vests like adult vests worked quite well once the baby is sitting up age, but before that they're lying down all the time and ones without poppers/velcro/etc ruck up.

WorrisomeHeart Thu 06-Oct-11 10:22:28

Get both - the short sleeve or sleevelss one are brilliant under things.

horribledinners Thu 06-Oct-11 10:27:04

Don't know what your plans are (obvs!) but if you're planning on using reusables, I would say buy a bigger size if you decide on bodysuits as they tend to be a bit of a stretch round the bulk of a reusable nappy, my ds is in the next size up of bodysuit.
Bodysuits are warmer.
Vests are better if you have a leak you don't normally need to change it like you would a bodysuit.
I'd say have half a dozen of each, the vests will last a little longer than bodysuits as your baby grows.

BedHog Thu 06-Oct-11 11:42:15

Poppers are good, they stop the vest riding up, which it will do as babies lie on their backs and wiggle a lot of the time.

Long sleeved bodysuits are quite awkward to put under a babygrow as two lots of stretchy sleeves tend to twist and the underneath sleeve rides up. I found short sleeved bodysuit, babygrow and cardigan was the easiest combination when it's cold.

Bumpsadaisie Thu 06-Oct-11 11:53:42

Long sleeve body suits good with trousers and a Cardi / jumper over the top.

Deathaelina Thu 06-Oct-11 11:57:58

bodysuits are better in winter as you don't get a drafty gap, and they fit better under sleepsuits. Get a mix of long and short sleeved ones to wear under different clothes. And get more than you think you'll need. Baby poo 3 or more times a day can get everywhere.

greengoose Thu 06-Oct-11 12:41:18

because little babies get picked up so often its great to have things on them that dont ride up. They can also get cold. I always went for nappy, then short sleeved vest with poppers under bum, then long sleeve sleepsuit, with a swap for long sleeve vest too if it is cold. When we went out we would put on a thicker or winter suit on top, and sometimes layer with a cardi, and a little hat when they are small is essential.... Its all a fiddle at first, but youll soon do it in your sleep (Literally)! Congrats and good luck for next month!

Matronalia Thu 06-Oct-11 12:49:07

Poppered vests contain explosive baby poo a bit better. DD and DS are much older now but as newborns they regularly did poos that exploded all the way up their back and they were pretty well contained in the suit, just a bit of liquid seeped through. When we tried them without a bodysuit (DD was a june baby so we were trying to cut down on layers) it went out through the gap and onto our clothes instead.

When they get older poppered vests are useful to stop ...ahem...rummaging in their nappies and poo related experimenting. DS was a dab hand at pulling his willy up so he weed straight out of the nappy as well.

BubaMarra Sat 08-Oct-11 08:08:16

I swear by bodysuits as my child was a May baby she spent the whole summer just wearing bodysuits. When winter came, she wore short sleeved bodysuits under vests or jumpers. Even now at almost 2.5 I try to get her bodysuits but you don't find them in bigger sizes that easily.

wombatinwaiting Sat 08-Oct-11 15:24:00

Thanks for asking this OP - I was just about to post the same question! Thanks also to the helpful answers smile

hubbahubster Sat 08-Oct-11 17:21:50

Rule of thumb is that baby should wear one more layer than you do, so bodysuits are excellent for extra insulation under cute outfits. Much better than t-shirts under dungarees too, and if the nappy leaks you can often just change the bodysuit as it protects the rest of the outfit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now