Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early Scan?

(9 Posts)
Onlymydogunderstandsme Wed 05-Oct-11 10:42:18

I had a mc last month at 5+2, I found out 3 days ago that Im pregnant again, very surprised and happy and feel very lucky that it has happenned again so soon but feeling very nervous! I was just wondering if anyone knew if I would be offered an early scan this time because of the mc? I am currently 4+4 and I'm going to wait until next week or the week after until I go and see the doctor as want to get past the stage I mc at. I would like to have a scan at around 8 weeks if possible, 12 weeks just seems to far away! Thanks!

BedHog Wed 05-Oct-11 11:04:47

Unless you have had several mcs, you won't routinely be offered an early scan with the NHS, unless you have any bleeding or other problems.

I don't think private scans are horrendously expensive though, if you wanted one for reassurance. Sensible to wait until about 8 or 9 weeks though, as by this point there will definitely be a heartbeat if there's going to be one, and once they've found that, the risk of mc drops dramatically.

I know the nervous feeling well though - I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant with a baby conceived soon after a mmc at 10 weeks late last year.

Congratulations! Hope it all goes well for you this time. smile

kiki22 Wed 05-Oct-11 11:14:41

i wouldn't bother going for an early scan really it doesn't do any good just because they say things look good in a scan doesn't mean it can't go wrong later. if anything was wrong your body would tell u as long as you get some symptoms everything should be ok if your worried ask your doctor to do a test for you to check your hormone levels.

I have had one previous MC and am now 24 weeks and honestly think you would be wasting your money going for an early scan just pay close attention to what your bodys telling you and you will be fine. If your really worried get some cheap tests and do another next week.

katekate3 Wed 05-Oct-11 12:43:37

I've had 2 mmc at 12 weeks and had pregnancy symptoms throughout. I will be having a private reassurance scan this time round. Prob at around 9 weeks.

jeee Wed 05-Oct-11 12:46:04

When I had a miscarriage, the EPU told me that I could self-refer in any future pregnancies. I had a scan at 8 weeks, 10 weeks, and could have had one at 12 weeks, but as I was scheduled to have my dating scan at 13 weeks I decided to leave it. It's definitely worth finding out if any local EPU allows you to self-refer.

kat2504 Wed 05-Oct-11 13:19:35

8-9 weeks is an excellent time to have a reassurance scan. Don't do it before, no matter how impatient you are, because at the 6 weeks stage a scan is not always so reassuring and you could have 2 weeks of pointless worry.

In my area it is possible to get one for £50 which is half the price of babybond so googling will help you get a good price. I think if you can afford it, £50 is well worth it for the reassurance if you have had a previous miscarriage. But no harm in asking the EPU first and seeing if you can get one for free. my epu only does it after 2 miscarriages but if you don't ask you won't get.

katekate3 Wed 05-Oct-11 13:24:26

After reading this I decided to be brave and phone my epu, and have scan booked for next wed when should be nearly 10 weeks. They were v understanding, and said because I had found out at my dating scan both times they would scan me early. Good luck- the early days seem to take forever!

Onlymydogunderstandsme Wed 05-Oct-11 13:27:27

Thanks for all of your replies! I think I would wait until 8-9 weeks but that doesn't seem to far off! I will ask my GP when I go and see what she says, last time when I went with bleeding she phoned there and then to book me in and was so understanding I'm hoping she might refer me but if not I might ring them directly anyway! Thank you!

Crosshair Wed 05-Oct-11 13:32:02

I didnt and going private wasnt for me(I was happy to wait and decided on positive thinking to get me through). Currently 27 weeks.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I would ask if its something that you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now