Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are there ways of telling if your having a boy or a girl if your not finding out on the gender scan...?

(7 Posts)
SavannahRose Tue 04-Oct-11 23:02:14

Any myths or secrets?
X

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Oct-11 23:04:04

no, there is no way of telling

griphook Tue 04-Oct-11 23:05:17

loads of ways

try weeing on baking soda, somthing to do wih it fizzing.
chinese gender calendar?
ring on string
which side you sleep on
if you crave sweet or sour.

can remember which is which though. grin

JeelyPiece Tue 04-Oct-11 23:08:40

There are plenty of myths, yes, but none of them will tell you the sex of your baby!

It's not a gender scan btw, it's an anomaly scan to check for abnormalities in the baby's brain, heart, lungs, stomach etc. But they can usually tell what sex the baby probably is. Not all hospitals will tell you, is that why you are not going to find out there?

KellyKettle Wed 05-Oct-11 03:50:02

At my 20 week scan I didn't find out the sex of DC2 but I was told I had a left-lateral placenta.

I googled this because I'd heard that babies tend to face the placenta and was worried about a back-to-back labour.

Found nothing on left lateral placentas really except for a link to one study which linked placenta position & gender. Apparently it means I'm have a girl and the accuracy was something like 99%.

There are whole websites set up to talk about stuff like this.

IMO if the placenta thing were true then sonographers wouldn't spend ages looking for genitals in babies who have their legs crossed etc. They wouldn't need to would they?

DC2 due in 3 weeks so no idea if I am having a girl but it's got a 1:2 chance of being right smile

BedHog Wed 05-Oct-11 08:58:45

The fetal heartbeat can give some indication, although is not accurate. Boys tend to be slower, at 130-140 bpm, girls are 150-160+bpm.

Although my baby keeps swapping from boy to girl, so I guess other factors (poking etc) can affect the heartrate at the time of measurement.

kiki22 Wed 05-Oct-11 18:54:33

there is no way to tell 100% until birth BUT a private gender scan is prob most reliable (99%) with it being private they have the time to have a good look and if babys not in the correct possition most will give you another day to come back free since they want to keep there reputaion they will make sure before they tell you. Having said that in my 20 week scan i asked for confirmation he's a boy and she showed me on the scan and there was NO mistaking he has boy bits could very clearly see his willy n balls so if it's a girl she's got extra bits!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now