Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

flu jab

(26 Posts)
MersyMersy Tue 04-Oct-11 13:10:35

I've just been to my GP surgery and there are lots of leaflets and posters about the pregnancy and flu jab. I've just read one and have now scared myself silly about catching the H1N1 virus but before I go propaganda crazy I thought I'd ask the mighty Mumsnets opinions first!

So, has anyone/is anyone thinking of getting it this winter?

Karmanna Tue 04-Oct-11 13:14:07

I've been called by my GP to have the flu jab as I'm pregnant and therefore in the high risk category. I would ask your GP - better safe than sorry!

MersyMersy Tue 04-Oct-11 13:15:31

Just noticed someone else has posted at the same time! Ha ha! Yeah I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and book it in.

hawthers Tue 04-Oct-11 13:19:31

i'm under consultant led care and I asked him whether i should get it/was is safe last week.

he nodded in a very slow 'of course woman that is why we recommend it way' and said that it was very important to get it as we've got lower immune systems so not only are we more likely to get flu, the effects would be worse too.

he told dh that he was stuffed though lol

ChineapplePunk Tue 04-Oct-11 13:52:38

I'm definitely going to get it, MersyMersy. I've just phoned my surgery and they said the midwife will do it for me on my next visit. smile

MersyMersy Tue 04-Oct-11 15:54:41

Me to Chineapple. Just booked it in for Friday. I knew I probably would anyway but I do feel better for checking in with everyone smile

bigmacandhappymeal Tue 04-Oct-11 16:24:17

I had mine last Thursday - made me feel a bit grotty for a couple of days afterwards but all is well. Definitely better than flu which is horrendous.

A tip ( i picked up from another MNetter) I have is that normally I would get injections in my left arm as I'm right handed. However, as I'm mostly sleeping on my left hand side I got it in my right arm. I'm glad I did as it was a bit sore for a couple of days and I think it would have made sleeping even more awkward than it is already is!

Fresh01 Tue 04-Oct-11 20:15:07

I posted this a few weeks ago but don't know how to link a thread! When I was pregnant with DC3 the swine flu was at its peak and all pregnant women were encouraged to get swine flu vaccine. This time round I hadn't heard anything about the flu vaccine until I got a letter from my GP asking me to come get one.

I got it last Wednesday at 28 weeks. No problems apart from a bit of a sore arm but then I am left handed so had it in right arm forgetting that I use that arm to carry round a 20 month old toddler!

One of the main benefits to me was that it will give the baby a bit more immunity against the flu when it is born. I also breastfeed which helps them avoid colds as they get some of your immunity, the previous 3 have all had a cold within weeks of stopping breastfeeding at 11 months. Given I have 3 other kids under 6, one at school and another at preschool there is no way this baby will be able to avoid the usual winter germs kids bring home so I wanted to give it as much immunity as I could.

Oeisha Tue 04-Oct-11 20:17:06

Had mine Monday. Feel a little ropey, but ok. Def. get one. Flu's a bastard at the best of times, it's the last thing you need whilst pg.

JambalayaCodfishPie Tue 04-Oct-11 20:23:44

Had mine today! So far, just a sore arm to show for it!

ciwi Tue 04-Oct-11 20:48:17

Thanks for the right arm tip! Didn't think of that. The fact that the baby will be immune for 4-6 months was what swung it for me, I am at risk of having a prem baby so it's doubly important. I am ringing to make my appointment tomorrow.

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 04-Oct-11 20:51:58

Had mine on Saturday. Had flu then pneumonia last winter and lost a baby in the middle of it all. Not taking that chance again. Arm not too sore but I have a nasty bruise on it. Not sure if that's right...

ShoeJunkie Tue 04-Oct-11 20:58:21

I work in the NHS and they're pushing all front line staff to have it. So I guess this year I should doubly have it being 20 weeks pg! Off to Occ Health tomorrow to be jabbed.

Deesus Tue 04-Oct-11 21:04:56

I got a letter from my gp as i'm pg so in high risk cat. Off for mine next friday!

notlettingthefearshow Tue 04-Oct-11 21:21:48

I'm off to have one next week. I was recommended it and definitely will. Not keen on contracting flu at the best of times!

ToriaPumpkinPasty Tue 04-Oct-11 21:46:49

I had mine today and other than some stiffness in my hand (which could just have been because at nearly 37 weeks I'm swollen and puffy) have had no adverse effects. I've had flu once before and did not fancy it either while still pregnant or with a tiny newborn!

IssyStark Tue 04-Oct-11 23:00:57

I had mine today and have no side effects and my arm is only sore if I squeeze it!

Def. a good idea to get it (which is why it is offer free to all pregnant women) as it protects you and your baby, even after it has been born.

MrsHoarder Wed 05-Oct-11 05:02:18

They arrived at my surgery the day before my booking appointment so I had it there and then ("no I don't want to think about the needle just give me the jab now"). Its not just H1N1, you get protected from all the common flus this winter.

The risks from flu far outway those from the jab, although asking for the arm you don't sleep on is a good idea, my arm felt bruised for a few days afterwards.

peggyblackett Wed 05-Oct-11 05:05:27

Booked in for 15th. My Dad (retired doctor), advised me to have it, as he was fretting about me being pg and not having it.

Mmmmcheese Wed 05-Oct-11 09:21:03

I want to have it but my GP said that this year they are not counting pregnant women as high risk. That doesn't sound right if all you guys have been recommended it. Going to call them again!

Oeisha Wed 05-Oct-11 09:36:51

We're def. high risk according to the NHS guidelines for this year.
Have a look at the DH page HERE. The Chieft Medical Officer has written in both the "Seasonal Flu Plan 11/12" and in "Immunisation Program 11/12" reccomended that ALL pregnant women should be given the vaccine. I don't think they vary for Scotland and Wales etc.
If I were you I'd try them once more (as the receptionist may just have the wrong end of the stick), asking to speak to the practic emanager, then report them to the PCT and switch surgeries if they're not forthcoming with the vaccine. Not good.

hawthers Wed 05-Oct-11 09:38:08

nhs website says so!

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Flu-jab/Pages/Whyitshouldbedone.aspx

Mmmmcheese go slap them in the face with that one and demand it!

emmam25 Wed 05-Oct-11 11:06:40

I've had mine today and it doesn't even hurt! Mind you I already have a cold so probably wouldn't even notice any additional symptoms!

FannibalLecter Wed 05-Oct-11 11:25:17

After reading this I'm definitely going to book mine, I was in two minds and worried about doing it, but I think it's gotta be worthwhile right?
(I had flu and swine flu last year and it was awful!)

crazyhead Wed 05-Oct-11 19:11:11

I'm due in mid November, and the midwife was pretty ambivalent about whether I should bother

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now