Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

gave birth 7 months ago, EBF, periods not yet started. Can i get pregnant and if yes, how would you know?

(11 Posts)
nello Tue 04-Oct-11 12:45:35

The title says it all! My periods have not yet started again since givin birth, I have been exclusively breast feeding and now solids too. Does no periods mean that I am not ovulating yet, and so can i get pregnant? If i can get pregnant, how would you know given that my periods aren't here to stop?? confused !!

nello Tue 04-Oct-11 13:07:23

bump

Albrecht Tue 04-Oct-11 13:10:04

Yes you can get pregnant if not using contraception. You could still be ovulating.

Do a test!

nickelbabe Tue 04-Oct-11 13:10:33

what Albrecht said.

ShowOfHands Tue 04-Oct-11 13:11:58

You generally ovulate before your period so yes you can get pg without your periods having restarted. And you'd know by doing a pregnancy test. If you've had unprotected sex, you could be pregnant.

nello Tue 04-Oct-11 13:12:51

ok, so to sound daft...normally you would wait until you miss a period to do a test. You just do a test at any time, given that there is no period to miss?!

Loopymumsy Tue 04-Oct-11 13:15:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wolfhound Tue 04-Oct-11 13:17:02

What Show said. I ebf for a year with DS1 - no periods but pg with DS2 pretty much the day I stopped bf. Must have been my first ovulation. I knew when I began vomiting.... It was all a bit embarrassing at all my MW appointments - they kept wanting the date of my LMP, which was nearly 2 years earlier and when I gave it to them, they'd look at me like I was a fool...

ShowOfHands Tue 04-Oct-11 13:49:18

A period is your body shedding the womb lining and unfertilised egg when you haven't conceived in any given cycle. So you produce an egg and either it's fertilised by a sperm or 10-16 days later your period starts and your monthly cycle begins again.

So I'd test now and then again in 2 weeks if it's negative, just to be sure you aren't very, very newly pregnant and if you don't want another baby, use contraception.

nello Tue 04-Oct-11 14:03:04

thanks all! and good idea showofhands - one test now and one in a couple of weeks.

Squiglettsmummy2bx Tue 04-Oct-11 14:35:47

My best friend was ebf & never got a period just spotting then sickness then bfp. Her dd was born 24th october, 3 weeks before her son turned 1!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now