Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do pre-term (?) babies always spend time in hospital?

(9 Posts)
TeacupTempest Tue 04-Oct-11 11:36:18

What I mean is if a baby is born before being considered full-term (37 weeks?) do they always have to spend time in a special care unit or is it different for individual cases?

Random query I know.

AKMD Tue 04-Oct-11 11:47:04

It is different for individual cases IME but your Trust might have a different policy. My friend's baby was born at 36 weeks weighing over 10lb(!) and didn't have to go into SCBU, but then had to go in a week after discharge as he developed bad jaundice. Another friend's baby arrived at 36 weeks + 4 and was in SCBU for a week. My DS was born at just a squeak over the 37 week margin and didn't go in, despite having jaundice and only weighing 5lb.

Bramshott Tue 04-Oct-11 11:50:54

No, I definitely know of 35 weekers who have come pretty much straight home.

TeacupTempest Tue 04-Oct-11 12:11:31

Thanks.

Not really sure why but this has been playing on my mind a bit recently.

sevensevenseven Tue 04-Oct-11 14:59:57

It depends entirely on the baby, but generally the closer they are to full term the less chance there is they'll need to spend time in SCBU. I had my DS at 35+5, he didn't need SCBU but stayed in for 3 days (with me) due to feeding problems. My niece born at 34+5 spent one night in SCBU, as did my friends baby born at 38 weeks.

kerala Tue 04-Oct-11 15:03:34

We had to stay in 5 days with our 35 week baby but like seven it was feeding problems if I hadnt been breastfeeding would have been able to go home.

whackamole Tue 04-Oct-11 22:25:31

I had twins at 36 weeks on the nose, they needed no special care at all, we stayed in for 3 days and that was it. No problems at all.

SIL baby born at 36+5 IIRC was 5 days in special care. It's not always indicative.

icravecheese Wed 05-Oct-11 10:33:25

Our unit is also based on birth weight of the baby - my friend had 2 of her babies at 36 weeks. Neither had to stay in, although she told me that her daughter was 'borderline' weight for SCBU (she was 5lb-something, can't remember exact amount) but was allowed home same day in the end. Had she been a few oz's lighter she would have needed to go to SCBU for monitoring.

nunnie Wed 05-Oct-11 10:41:45

My boy was born at 36 weeks weighing 6lb 3oz, he never left my side after I came round in recovery and we both came home 48 hours later. He did end up being readmitted to hospital with jaundice day 5 but apart from that all was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now