Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

++ protein in urine

(6 Posts)
muzzy2011 Mon 03-Oct-11 19:23:25

Just wondered if anyone could put my mind at rest. Am 33 weeks and urine test found ++ protein levels in my urine. It was sent off for testing and is not a urine infection but the Dr did not call me back as she was supposed to as to what it could mean. Has anyone has this and is it just one of those things...I dont have high blood pressure or any other preeclampsia signs which is what I know high protein levels can mean.
Any comments to put my mind at rest would be much appreciated....Thanks

MrsHuxtable Mon 03-Oct-11 19:31:23

I had ++Protein combined with high blood pressure at 15 weeks. I had to come back for another protein test a couple of days later and had only +. Doctor said not to worry as vaginal discharge in pregnancy often shows up us protein as well. ++ isn't actually that bad in pregnancy, especially if you don't have any other pre-ecplampsia symptons, as it actually goes up to +++++.
I'd still phone the doctor back and ask, just for peace of mind. You can also buy the sticks to measure protein online, so if you'd feel better keeping an eye on it yourself, I'd do it.

Jules125 Mon 03-Oct-11 20:56:59

Agree with poster above, but as a survivor of very severe PE I would say if you did get any other symptoms (especially headaches, swelling around the face, flashing lights) then don't hesitate to go back into be checked out again. I say this just because pre-eclampsia can develop fast and sometimes starts with the protein before the raised blood pressure.

Having said that, without any other symptoms it probably won't progress to anything.

Good lucl

whackamole Mon 03-Oct-11 20:59:27

Keep a check on other symptoms.

Could just be a little bit of thrush - at about this time apparently increased discharge, and therefore increased risk of thrush which can show as protein.

muzzy2011 Mon 03-Oct-11 22:20:59

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep a check on other symptoms but now it's mentioned I do have thrush (sorry TMI) so maybe that explains it...

banana87 Mon 03-Oct-11 22:53:59

I had ++ urine and leukocytes the other week. Consultant not bothered and said its usually due to being a contaminated sample, which is probably what you had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now