Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nursing bra advice needed please

(6 Posts)
natwebb79 Mon 03-Oct-11 18:59:56

I'm 37 weeks and in the process of packing my hospital bag. I need to buy some nursing bras but have no idea what size I'll need once the milk comes in?? I've gone from a 34d to a 38d in maternity bras and guess for the first (colostrum) days they won't change much. Just wondering what others have done?

feelingratheroverwhelmed Mon 03-Oct-11 19:40:28

Go and get yourself measured somewhere reputable, preferably an independent shop if there's one close by. They can measure you, and advise you on how much bigger you're likely to be post birth, so what size you should get.

I went to John Lewis a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't massively impressed but trusted them enough to buy some bras. Mothercare, on the other hand, I will never go to again to get measured. Done it twice and both times they were way out!

anniroc Mon 03-Oct-11 20:31:22

To be honest, I guessed my size, I didn't get measured, but I guessed I'd go up one cup size and the bras fitted pretty well. Anyway, the bras I totally recommend are Dr Miriam Stoppard Nurture at Debenhams - sooo comfortable. I imagine Debenhams have a fitting service.

idlevice Tue 04-Oct-11 06:09:52

Try bras4mums.co.uk or nursingbras.co.uk for phone/email advice as they are fab. They may even have a local fitter in your area. They also stock a bra by Bravado which covers a range of approx 3 cup sizes so is ideal for the first few weeks when your size can be all over the place - it doesn't give a great shape but comfort is most important at that stage!

rubyslippers Tue 04-Oct-11 06:15:24

Agree re independent store

If not, then Elle macpherson intimates are very good

Mamas and papas do a range

You should try to get measured as an badly fitting bra will be very uncomfortable

nancerama Tue 04-Oct-11 06:52:14

I was in the same predicament as you and got myself in such a pickle I didn't bother at all. I ended up having to go shopping when my little one was 5 days old, which wasn't ideal for either of us!

I've found the Bravado Seamless Silk nursing bra to be excellent. It's stretchy so covers a range of sizes - super helpful when your boobs go massive when your milk comes in and then calm right back down again a week or so later. They stock them in John Lewis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now