Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stair Gates...sorry dont know where to post

(7 Posts)
lovemybabyboy Mon 03-Oct-11 13:41:41

Hi all,

Couldnt find a section for stair gates...so thought you guys might be able to help.
We have just moved house and I am looking to get some stair gates...the problem is the width is 86cm and i cant find gates at that width, I preferably want the pressure fit gates as dont want to drill holes in wall (we're renting). I have seen pressure fit gates to fit up to 81/82cm and i have seen a 7cm extension but that would make it 88/89cm.....
My question is can i adjust the gate with the extension to fit the 86cm gap that i need or will it be too big with extension....will it have to be fixed at 88/89cm?

I hope I am making sense.....I searched for hours on the net last night and still really confused...

DS will be 3 in dec and is good at walking up and down stairs but his bedroom door is right beside the stairs and i am a nervous wreck thinking that he might walk out of his room in middle of night disorientated and fall down the stairs!
I am 37+2 with DC2 so will be needing them in next few months anyway...

Sorry for long post and thank you in advance for any help/advice smile

Sandra2011 Mon 03-Oct-11 13:56:01

You could contact Lindam customer services.

I have 3 of their gates and they are really good quality.

www.lindam.com/range/toddler-safety/safety-gates.html

BeeMyBaby Mon 03-Oct-11 13:57:44

have you tried this website?
www.safetots.co.uk/gate_finder_results.php?fitting_width=86&unit=cm&gate_installation=pressure_fitting&action=Search

dreamalittle Mon 03-Oct-11 14:21:09

I think pressure-fitting gates aren't recommended for the tops of stairs, anyway, because of the bar across the bottom being a trip hazard.

Any way you could fit a gate across the landing or something instead?

If your landlord is reasonable, maybe you should have a chat with him/her about it and get permission to make the holes - if you make good any damage before you go, they shouldn't have any reason to complain.

mumt1 Mon 03-Oct-11 15:03:46

The extendable ones can fit any size up to the max which is stated. I have two one at top and bottom of stairs both are extendable n fit to size.try and if doesn't fit then return. Xx

edwinbear Mon 03-Oct-11 20:42:13

As mumt1 says, the extendable bit will mean it will work for any size from the 81/82cm up to the max 89cm so this should be fine for your 86cm. We have just bought pressure ones for our new house, having moved from a flat where we didn't have to worry about them. We have pressure ones top and bottom and they seem to be working fine. If you are anywhere near a John Lewis they were very helpful when we were trying to buy them completely clueless about what we needed.

whackamole Mon 03-Oct-11 20:53:53

I would really get one you can screw into the wall for the top of the stairs. You can polyfilla when you move. I wouldn't want to risk the pressure bar failing and him falling down the stairs with a gate on top of him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now