Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

boob/BF related question

(11 Posts)
kiki22 Sun 02-Oct-11 19:51:44

Can anyone tell me how long it takes after birth for your boobs to stop leaking obviously if your not BF? and also does it make a difference to when they stop if you have done no BF at all or if you do the first few feeds for the colostrum?

Been told that if you do any feeding at all it's harder to get it to stop and boobs get very sore anyone know if this is true?

winterland Sun 02-Oct-11 20:21:52

They might not leak obviously at all. It will probably ease discomfort if one feeds colustrum and then stops rather than nothing at all smile

TryLikingClarity Sun 02-Oct-11 20:37:46

I bf my DS for 11 months and never leaked ever. Not everyone leaks, although at the time I thought there was something wrong with me as I'd read so much about leaking breast pads etc.

No idea about leaking if one doesn't bf, but I'm sure it's the same that some women do, some don't.

kiki22 Sun 02-Oct-11 21:45:01

thanks i'm leaking already if my nips get squeezed (read online it would happen so squeezed now i with i didn't) so i'm now worried im going to be really leaky!!

Purplebuns Sun 02-Oct-11 21:59:51

The best thing for it not to hurt is to breastfeed.
However, even if you don't at all your milk will still come in and it will probably be quite uncomfortable. I would least aim to give the baby the colostrum to help with the initial pain and as it is excellent for baby, if you give up in the early weeks you will dry up quite quickly and with similar discomfort at any point.
If you are planning on BF you may leak to begin with and then settle after awhile.
It is entirely normal to produce milk if you stimulate your breasts which is what you are doing squeezing nipples wink and doesn't mean you will definitely leak. However pack your breastpads!

GreenandBlacksAddict Sun 09-Oct-11 17:12:00

Hi I was told by a white witch ( I know it sound mad ) to drink a pint of sage tea 2 -3 times a day and it worked by day 3. who knows perhaps they would have stopped by day 3 without the tea but due to the uncomfortable tightness I'd have drunk a bathful ! Ps it doesn't taste great so have some biccies to chobble straight after !

kiki22 Sun 09-Oct-11 18:33:22

thanks i might try that smile

whackamole Sun 09-Oct-11 21:33:05

I BF for 4 months and was still leaking a little when I got pregnant again this time. The boys were 2 when I fell pregnant again!

Never had sore boobs aside from when engorged and during pregnancy though.

mumt1 Sun 09-Oct-11 21:47:04

Oh god! Sorry to say al this but my boobs where like a tap, but then when I did try to feed my son wasn't enough. But like when I was asleep I'd wake up to a huge wet patch al over my jamas and bedding and sheet. Mine where terrible and it was agony. I'm rly sorry to av to tell you this but it hurt me so much, my boobs leaked all day and night. Yet I had to stop breastfeeding my son because I didn't have enough after all the leaking I guess!

kiki22 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:43:15

oh Gawd!! having visions of leaking infront of 12 yr old BIL and FIL after all thhe horror storys i've been hearing!

stuffthenonsense Mon 10-Oct-11 16:19:47

kiki dont worry, i have bf all of my babies, and have only leaked occasionally, on a practical note...keep a supply of breast pads to hand and change them regularly (think of them as sanitary towels for your boobs)
and wear PATTERNED tops, then if you do leak it wont be obvious.
oh and as for night times, leaking will be worse if you put any pressure on your boobs, so avoid lying on your front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now