Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ECV tomorrow- any advice?

(6 Posts)
Newmom2b Sun 02-Oct-11 14:26:58

Hi all, I'm 38 weeks and booked in for an ecv tomorrow due to baby being breech. Has anybody else had one of these who can give me advice on what to expect? TIA x

shelley72 Sun 02-Oct-11 14:38:17

no advice as such (mine failed to turn) but good luck! i would say tho to make sure that you have someone with you and someone to take you home in case you feel a bit shaky afterwards. and have your hospital bag packed ready!

mrsrowbott Sun 02-Oct-11 19:06:33

I had a successful ECV at exactly 38 weeks (first pregnancy). I was given terbutaline, a tocolytic to relax the uterus, which was fine. Can give you a bit of a tremor but doesn't last for long. The procedure itself was quick - took less than 30 seconds in my case as baby's head was easy to palpate and thus easier to turn. It is very uncomfortable but bearable...the worst thing for me was the 'chinese burn' feeling on my skin as the doctor needs a strong grip!
Usually monitored on CTG for 30 minutes before the ECV and for a similar or longer period afterwards so you may be there for a while and may appreciate someone with you to talk to. Hope it goes well for you.

Tangle Sun 02-Oct-11 22:44:39

They should do a scan before they start to check on the position of the baby and the cord. Once they've done that you might want to ask a few questions re. the individual consultant's success rate and how likely he feels that the procedure will be successful in your individual circumstance.

You can ask for them to stop at any point - before they've started or while they're in the middle of it (Mary Cronk suggests practicing "Stop this AT ONCE!" in your sternest voice, just in case it comes in handy one day!).

(should caveat that that was picked up doing a lot of reading before deciding to decline an ECV and planned CS and, instead, proceed with a planned vaginal breech birth - so no actual experience of ECV, but we did try to make declining it as informed a decision as possible)

staylucky Sun 02-Oct-11 23:18:26

I had an unsucessful ecv and found it hilarious and spookily unmedical! Doctor wrestling with my bump and swearing under her breath. Tbh just be prepared that there's a chance it won't change things. I was gutted up have to go on to have an EMCS but 2 years down the line am just glad to have my boy healthy and here. Baby will get here one way or another! Hope it goes well for you x

HappyAsIAm Mon 03-Oct-11 10:09:01

I don't know whether you're already on your way for the ECV, newmom2b, but my advice is to ask whether G&A will be available during the ECV if you decide that you need it. Be prepared for the ECV to be very physical. Mine was painful, and if I'd known that G&A was available, I'd have definitely opted for it. I just didn't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now